Big Tuneup Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Tuneup Time

Well i went to the parts store and bought $240 worth of parts for my cars tuneup tommorrow at tech.

I got

4 Quarts of Dex/Mercon Tranny Fluid
    5 Quarts of 10W-30 Valvoline Oil
    1 Fuel Pressure Regulator
    1 NAPA Fuel Filter
    2 Wheel Cylinders
    1 Thermal Fan Clutch
    Transmission Filter/Pan Gasket Set
    Oil Pan Gasket Set
    1 Orifice Tube
    1 Pack of of A/C o ring kit
    1 Fram Oil Filter

Hope the car runs real well after this tune up.

Pics

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

where are all the a/c oring's located.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

You do know your going to need an a/c machine to evac and recharge your a/c right?
      Also I believe your going to need more than 4 qts to refill the tranny. And shame on you for buying a fram oil filter lol. You seem to be replacing alot of unneeded parts. Are your wheel cylinders failing, is you fan clutch failing? I would assume you have done plugs, plug wires, dizzy cap, and air filter recently since they are not on the list? As for the a/c o rings there should be one on the inlet and the out of the compressor, also on on the inlet and outlet of the condesor, and probly one at every connection in the system.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

The trans takes close to 12 quarts if you drain the converter as well as the pan, and probably about 7 or 8 if you do just the pan.

If you're doing wheel cylinders, you also need brake fluid. I'd buy enough to flush the whole system out, 2 quarts ought to be more than enough. Suck the black sludge out of the master cylinder, fill with fresh, then bleed the system out until you have nice clear fluid at each wheel.

O rings for the AC are located at each connection. You will also need something to lube the O rings. Manual will tell you to use refrigerant oil, ester oil is probably what you want. Honestly I'd do a complete flush on that AC system. If the orifice tube is clogged as I suspect it is, it got that way somehow. usually the reason is a component grenaded and contaminated the system. If the tube has a bunch of black goo stuck in the screen, then you'll need to flush the BS out of all the components and most likely replace the compressor since thats usually what will have failed to put the black junk in there to begin with.
        Last edited by gadget73; 09-09-2010, 09:36 PM.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

240 dollars? who's ripping you off?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

lol, cork oil pan gasket. Why bother.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

yea didnt notice the oil pan gasket.......dont waste your time with the cork pos......22 bucks for the one piece silicone gasket is well worth it.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

I don't see anything there that would make it run any better...
                2000 Grand Marquis LS
                2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                Mercury Owners Group member
                Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

well today i replaced the fuel filter and the orifice tube man was the old one black and clogged. Monday we will be charging the ac system my shop has an ac system to charge it with refrigerant for free and doing more stuff. The New fuel filter made a difference there's like no more hesitation. Also found a huge oil leak on my car. My oil pressure switch shit the bed and is leaking oil all over my engine it's caked in oil. So i am going to buy a new one.

Comment

excellent!
                    dont forget to also pick up the special socket for the oil pressure sender, and put some teflon paste on the threads of the new sender before you install it

Comment

If the orifice tube was black, FLUSH THE AC SYSTEM before you charge it, or its gonna be black and clogged in about 2 minutes. Also, don't be surprised if it still clogs up. Most of the time when it has black crap, the compressor failed. Running it again will most likely just push more black crap into the system and clog it up again. If that were my car, I'd buy a brand new compressor and a new drier, and flush the hell out of the system before even trying to charge it.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

my shop has the right tools for the job and gadget that compressor has never been used it a new compressor my father got so we should be fine. and the ac is all drained out anyway scott did that already at scottfest. it's ready to be recharged.

Comment

flush it out real good matt
                          when i tried to charge it for you at scottfest, it had a vacuum on the low side, theres bound to be more crap in the system

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                            lol, cork oil pan gasket. Why bother.
                            This this this. Cork anything should be banned.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                              flush it out real good matt
                              when i tried to charge it for you at scottfest, it had a vacuum on the low side, theres bound to be more crap in the system

how do i flush it with out spending more money i am on a very tight budget and can't afford anything else.

Comment

Working...
                              X