Slight hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slight hesitation

My 89 Civilan car has got a slight hesitation when I just mash the gas a little bit. It also surges on idle when I crank it. It stops if I let it run for a minute or two. It'll still do it when its warmed up and I cut it off and crank back it'll idle up and down for a minute.

Sometimes the slight hesitation is not as bad as some times. Seems like it Varies from time to time. Plugs, wires, cap, rotary button is all good. Any thoughts on this to what I can check? Yes it is the 5.0L that is stock. Thaks guys

anybody?

I'm not a 100% sure that it isn't the plugs but pulled one of them out and seemed to be fine. They've been changed at some point along with the wires.

I did unplug that one sensor that goes behind the throttle boddy that has two bolts holding it on. I cant think of the name for it. LOL. But when I unpluged the motor died. So It's working right. correct? It also has a new sensor that sits directly top of the throttle boddy. I think TPS? has two wires running from it and goes into a plug.

The hesitation is getting a bit annoying. It does it when I give it a little bit of gas then stops when I give it more gas. Sometimes it's worse than other times. If I gave it more gas past the hesitation point it would spin in gravel. Kinda annoying. Also It seems to be a bit worse on a cold start and taking off. I let it run for a minute and take off and it seems to be worse than if I would have let it run for 5 minutes then take off. idk
    Last edited by Brandon; 09-09-2010, 08:37 PM.

Comment

the 'thing with two bolts' behind the throttle body is the idle air control valve. it meters how much air gets past the throttle plate at all times.

a problem with the IAC valve would cause all kinds of problems coming on and off of the throttle. you can definitely try cleaning it, though. pull it off, protect the wiring, and blow the shit out of it (via one of the ports) with a can of carb cleaner or intake cleaner until the fluid running out of the other port it is clear. DO NOT reinstall or try and use it until it is completely dry.
      Last edited by 1990LTD; 09-09-2010, 09:29 PM.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Could be a vacuum leak. Make sure all the lines are in good shape
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I checked the vaccums of what all I could get too and they seem to be okay. I haven't tried cleaning out the IAC yet but will give that a try.

Comment

if you clean it, clean the throttle body too.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Coolant temp sensor. I had the EXACT same problem, and that fixed it. Along with the Vac. line under the plenum.

George
              1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

Can someone explain why the coolant temp sensor causes this type of problem?
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I thought, and this is secondhand knowledge, that the computer uses the temp to determine idle kick-down or speed or something? I'm not a 100% on it though

George

Comment

The computer uses the coolant temp sensor (ECT), along with MAP, and several others to determine the appropriate mixture. The ECT tells the computer whether the engine is warmed up or not, and how rich to run it in order to get the engine warmed up as quickly as possible. If you're having cold start problems, I would definitely look at the ECT first.

You can put DVOM on the ECT and check the resistance readings against a thermometer in the radiator to see if in fact the ECT is reporting the correct information.

Rockauto has the ECT listed under the "cooling system" subheading; they have a Motorcraft part listed for about $35. I'd go with that one, simply because Motorcraft generally has the best stuff.
                    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Okay guys. I checked the iac sensor and it's real clean. Throttle body is clean too.

So is the Coolant temp sensor under the uper intake? Another words I have to remove it. And I know this might be dumb one, but where is the map sensor? I know it has something to do with fuel but not sure of what it looks like. I've never had to look into replacing one.

Also the car is using oil (quart every two weeks) It's not burning it and see no oil spots but it's using it. It also seems to be using water (coolant) some where as well. I see no signs of the radiator being bad as I have removed the fan shroud. While in that process I converted it over to the 90 Town Car shroud and air breather. Again if I have to remove the upper intake that is no big deal for me. I've done it before and plan on replacing anything that needs it while I got it off. Valve cover gasket for a fact. It's not smoking under the hood or anything but it sure probably wouldnt hurt. I've got a preety darn good grasp on working on these cars. I'm just not so familar with the sensors. More of a carburator guy. LOL.

Anyways, thanks for all of your input guys. Much apreciated

Comment

:bump:

Just curious about using the oil and coolant and what an where is the MAP sensor. Thanks

Comment

You'll see it when you pull the upper, I did mine when I did the valve cover gaskets/pvc. O'Riley's had a good Borg Warner one for super cheap.

Comment

Um....I don't know what you mean about seeing it when you pull the upper. The ECT is right by the water neck to the upper radiator hose, set into another water hose. The MAP sensor is under the wipers slightly to the passenger side of the centerline. It has a few wires and a vacuum hose going to it. Shouldn't have to pull the upper for either one.
                            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Oh, guess I never bothered to look for it until I did, I had a lot of other shit to do when I was there. Thanks for the correction, my mistake. But if you do pull it that vac line with the red stripe on it went soft on mine. Be a good time to replace it.

George

Comment

Working...
                              X