OVERDRIVE IS ACTING FUNNY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OVERDRIVE IS ACTING FUNNY

My overdrive is acting up on my 91. Sometimes it might shift but at the most part it doesnt sometimes im up 2 like 90mph in 3rd gear. By me having this problem is the transmission gonna go on me or im just not gonna have overdrive anymore

Sounds like a valve body issue. The best and most common solution is a new valve body, that's about $200 I think, plus the install cost if you don't have the tools to do it, they do need to be torqued down very specificly in order and to a tight tollerance.

Comment

Be carefull as well, a lot of the time when it acts like this it will hold OD kind of weak. So you could burn up OD if you're not paying attention to it.

Comment

If somebody spends $200 on a valve body, they need their head examined (other than a Lentech of course). Unless it is warped it's not a wear item.

Right now there is no way to know what exactly is wrong. Going 90 mph in 3rd and not having a upshift is a PROBLEM. You should have a 3-4 shift at 47-53 mph when the line pressure is 45 psi. The band could be toast, the overdrive servo could be leaking, the various valves could be sticking, the governor could be stuck, etc. Lots of things a qualified tech needs to examine.

Does it ever slip out of 3rd at lower speeds unexpectantly?

Comment

OD band cooked does not effect when it shifts, nor does OD servo,

Valve leaks, all the valves are in the valve body. Most shops never work on them, they just replace the units.

A sticky governor would effect all shift points, not just OD.

The issue is in the valve body. Whether it's somehow become warped, a seal has gone bad, a piece of small debrigh got in it, it could be many things, but 98% possitive that it is in the valve body.

Comment

i think it is a debris issue.......overdrive worked fine when i drove his car last friday, and the fluid looked clean.........let me know if u want my transmission physician to look it over mike.....of course u gotta drive to pa again tho lol
            scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
              The issue is in the valve body.
              Hope you're right... I guess Ford should have engineered the overdrive servo with holes in it since leakage obviously doesn't affect the shifting quality or holding power of the gear!

Most shops never work on them, they just replace the units.
              Who are these most shops that have seemingly located an endless supply of NOS valve bodies? I'd be interested in stocking up myself!

Comment

Listen smart ass, the problem is not shift quality or holding capacity. It's not shifting at all!!! Read, and then go here...

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                  Listen smart ass, the problem is not shift quality or holding capacity. It's not shifting at all!!! Read, and then go here...

http://grandmarq.net/forum/viewtopic...840&highlight=
                  His topic stayed overdrive was acting funny. I have found people leave things out of their stories and that it is best to follow up with questions and possibilities before deciding on an answer. I replied to your post, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu
                    His topic stayed overdrive was acting funny.
                    So you are saying you didn't even read his post and you dared to contradict what was said!!!???
                    :jawdrop:

Comment

yea it has felt like it was slipping a coulpe of times i was at about 60mph and i hit the gas it just sounded like it was it neutral then i hit 2 the floor and it shifted and went. The guy who i bought the car he the transmission rebuilt like maybe 3 years ago i like i do think its the govern cause b4 it started acting up i got up 2 120 and after scott did the headers n h pipe i was at 125 i think ill be back up 2 see u scott

Comment

Working...
                      X