No announcement yet.

No second gear???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine would go into first at 25mph. And if it was in 2nd and I was going 30mph and floored it, it would downshift into 1st again.

Comment

After testing, at 30 I put it into 1 and it only went down to second. When I slowed to about 15 it nicely dropped into 1st. So that works great. That will also help going down hills, using the engine as a brake. Will that cause any problems by the way?
      2000 Grand Marquis LS
      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
      Mercury Owners Group member
      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Nope, should be fine, just don't do a lot of slamming from acceleratio to engine braking, that is kind of harsh on the hard parts.

Comment

SHIFT KIT.

1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark
            After testing, at 30 I put it into 1 and it only went down to second. When I slowed to about 15 it nicely dropped into 1st. So that works great. That will also help going down hills, using the engine as a brake. Will that cause any problems by the way?
            Yes--increased wear and tear on both the engine and transmission. The overdrive band is applied when it is in manual 2, and the reverse band applies in manual 1.

Comment

Guess we won't do that then. Will a shift kit help that? Is my next purchase
              2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

If your trailer is equipped with electric brakes, I suggest installing an electric brake controller in your car. That way when you are going down hill you can use the brakes on the trailer as well as the brakes on the wagon.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

What STU here fails to mention is that the OD band and the Reverse band are applied to increase the holding capacity. That is why you do burnouts in 1, not D. So, you can add about 15 negligable minutes of use to the OD band, and add 5 minutes of use to the rarely used reverse band, and save youself from burning up the clutches that would normaly be doing this alone. None of these actions are outside the normal, or design paramters for your transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln
                    If your trailer is equipped with electric brakes, I suggest installing an electric brake controller in your car. That way when you are going down hill you can use the brakes on the trailer as well as the brakes on the wagon.
                    Done
                    2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Get a shift kit!

They are GREAT for towing!
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

i got a friend that will install a shift kit for you........the kit is pretty inexpensive.....he gets them wholesale
                        i would tow in drive........just leave it in d........when you are going up a steep hill at wot or near it, it will downshift into second gear
                        does your new trailer have brakes? if it does, get a trailer brake controller.......if you are unsure about hooking it up, i can help u out
                        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                          i got a friend that will install a shift kit for you........the kit is pretty inexpensive.....he gets them wholesale
                          i would tow in drive........just leave it in d........when you are going up a steep hill at wot or near it, it will downshift into second gear
                          does your new trailer have brakes? if it does, get a trailer brake controller.......if you are unsure about hooking it up, i can help u out
                          scott
                          I may take you up on that shift kit.
                          I already installed the electric brakes, just need to fine tune them, grab too hard at slow speeds.
                          In another post I stated a vibration in my rear axle, think it is a bearing, may do the rear end swap down the road too.
                          2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

just let me know when ray........if i find u a set of decent used gears and a traction lock, it wont be a whole lot of money...........new bearings, seals, a trac lock rebuild kit, and a ring and pinion and traction lock will be about 250-300 if u go with new gears and traction lock, add another 300 or so
                            i'll be more than happy to do the work for you........i'm trying to start my own buisiness, and could use the work lol...............pm me for more details
                            scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

just let me know when ray........if i find u a set of decent used gears and a traction lock, it wont be a whole lot of money...........new bearings, seals, a trac lock rebuild kit, and a ring and pinion and traction lock will be about 250-300 if u go with new gears and traction lock, add another 300 or so
                              i'll be more than happy to do the work for you........i'm trying to start my own buisiness, and could use the work lol...............pm me for more details
                              scott
                              Will definately let you do it when the time comes. Hard to convince the boss to spend money on something that ain't broke yet. :drug:
                              2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

........the kit is pretty inexpensive.....he gets them wholesale
                                Would he sell me one? May try it myself, seems straight forward.
                                2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
                                X