HELP KRASNY... Yeah...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP KRASNY... Yeah...

So yeah- I'm driving along- then I go to brake. The brakes go thump or something along those lines, eitherway I felt it go thump on the peddle as well as heard it. Now my car makes scraping noises when I brake, though it still is braking.

Now I figure this would be my brake pads? I'm clueless really, but I'm hoping thats it- as I'd be able to buy them and I just picked up a few manuals on how to do smaller stuff like that.

"If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent Texas and live in Hell."
    -Gen. Philip Henry Sheridan

Sounds like a busted pad.
    The front pads are cake to replace! Two bolts, then use a screw driver to compress the piston. Then you can slide it off. Remove the old pads, they are just held in place lightly, just pull them and they come off. Then put the new ones in place, and re-install.

It is more likely the front, however, it could be the rear. They are not that hard either, but take some finessing. Gotta mess with some springs and stuff that as a noob may be kind of anoying. It would be best to have someone there who had done it before to help you with the rear ones.

Comment

Could also be the caliper bolt wasnt installed properly and it walked out allowing the caliper to move. Brakes are very simple. Pull it apart and you will probably see right away what the trouble is. There is a recent post of monterey1962's where Scott details a front brake job. you probably wont need to pull the rotors so just skip that part.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

now that u mention it the LSS makes thumps when it brakeswhen u come to a stop the car slows down and all, but before it completly stops, i feel a thump in the back.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

and yeah... checkum the caliper bolts.
          didnt you recently have brake work done???
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
          X