Ported vacuum or manifold vacuum?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ported vacuum or manifold vacuum?!?!?!

I installed my H.E.I distributor the other day on my 302. ITS GREAT! However, I hooked it to the ported vacuum source like the old dura spark was hooked. The one that makes no vacuum at idle. It starts making vacuum when the throttle plates start to open. I HEAR that the HEI likes regular vacuum better and should be hooked to a manifold vacuum source. I get mixed results on online searches. PLEASE ADVISE!!!
    Last edited by 82LTDQS; 06-01-2010, 12:06 AM. Reason: spelling
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

the ignition system doesn't matter when you're picking ported vs manifold. It all depends on what the motor wants. Ported always made more sense to me, but some people swear by manifold vacuum. Best advice I can offer is to try both and see what happens. Also keep in mind you may need to recurve the distributor to get an appropriate advance curve for your motor.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Got ya
      Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
      Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
      Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
      Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X