Fast Idle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast Idle problem

1985 GM stock 302 78 thousand miles. Its runs excellent but every few days or so or like today its idled up really high.Doesnt seem to go down even after it warms up.Any suggestions?

check all vacuum lines, look for dry rot

Comment

Hey thanks man!

Comment

The 85 has a mechanical high idle system that works like a carb vehicle. Pump the gas once before starting, and it sets the high idle. Once it warms up, its supposed to drop out when you goose the throttle. If that linkage is gummy, it will work when it feels like it. The parts in question are on the passenger side of the CFI unit. You're looking for a black hockey puck sort of device. Spray the rods and linkages attached to that wth some carb cleaner to rinse off the sludge and it should behave itself a little better.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This has been an on going off/on problem with mine for a while. I've checked linkages, choke, and wiring. Sometimes if you give the gas a quick bump it will idle down. Usually i let it warm up for about ten minutes when its cool and then bump it, but it still will idle at about 1000 rpm sometimes. Problem is more frequent in the winter. I've just learned to live with it.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
          Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
          Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
          NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Hey thanks I was looking at that today

Comment

Working...
            X