painting upper intake plenum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

painting upper intake plenum?

I've seen a few cars on here with intake plenums in colors other than the classic Ford "meh" grey.

How should one prepare the upper intake for paint? I know I'll have to use a high-heat paint, I just want to make sure it'll stick to the damn thing in the first place.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

dont have to use high heat upper intake does not get that hot

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

oh, okay. that'll open up my options for color, then. thanks.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
        dont have to use high heat upper intake does not get that hot
        Yea, I just used some regular paint. It was Rustoleum's Hammered paint. It's great for filling in little imperfections and sticks great.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Im not a huge fan of Rustoleum, Ive had bad luck with it is all. I prefer the dupont paint, but its $12 a can. Whatever you use it doesn't have to be high heat. Im just glass beading and clear coating mine.
          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

what do i need to do to it before painting?
            sigpic

Comment

Depends, to make it really smooth I would glass bead it, You could blast it, or you could just clean the sucker off with some good degreaser.
              "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I don't even know where I'd go to get it glass beaded, but I don't think I want to go that far with it.

I don't even know exactly what glass beading is, I'm assuming it has a shitload of glass beads thrown at it to clean it up?
                sigpic

Comment

glass beading, media blasting, sandblasting all have one thing in common to strip paint,rust etc off metal see if you can find a highschool vocational place around you like a votech or boces. they usually charge a reasonable fee for work, just need to be careful though my buddy jim had his car painted and it didnt come out perfect, but then again how do you screw up sandblasting,etc?
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Anyone who says that the plenum does not get hot is a liar. That thing gets plenty hot. I defy anyone of you to keep your hands on the plenum when the car is at operating temps, report back after your hands heal.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      Anyone who says that the plenum does not get hot is a liar. That thing gets plenty hot. I defy anyone of you to keep your hands on the plenum when the car is at operating temps, report back after your hands heal.
                      I put my hands right on it all the time? I can open the hood after a 30 mile drive put my hands on it all day. It certainly isn't cold but it's not scalding hot.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

It can get hot enough to burn your hand. especially if you still have the egr coolant lines hooked up.
                        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

if its in nice shape, just scuff it with a scuff pad and spray it with engine paint

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post
                            if its in nice shape, just scuff it with a scuff pad and spray it with engine paint
                            +1 Im not painting mine, just clearing it in, so it matters if its shiny. As long as yours is pretty smooth and not too corroded just clean it up and scuff it.
                            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post
                              +2
                              I did mine red with flames. I just used a detail wire brush, shammy, and denatured alcohol to clean it, and i did used high-heat paint because mine does heat up.

I didn't even take mine off, which i probably should have.

My intake was scarred up though so it wasn't show quality.

Comment

Working...
                              X