painting upper intake plenum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by insomniac391 View Post
    I just used a detail wire brush, shammy, and denatured alcohol to clean it, and i did used high-heat paint because mine does heat up.
    They all heat up.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      They all heat up.
      Mine gets hot, but not so it will burn your hand. I would not want to feel the underside near the heads and lower though.
      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        They all heat up.
        I agree but not to the point that it's absolutely necessary to use high temp paint.
        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I highly recommend to use engine specific paint. I painted mine. Sanded everything down really well. Cleaned it off with a prep wipe. Primed, colored and cleared it and it is not holding up as well as i would have like it to (getting hazy and such). That may be due to the fact that I used a clear coat but I also attribute it to using regular car paint.

I have another one from a friend that will be painted properly in due time.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I would agree, its not like you can't get a color youd probably want in engine paint, so you may as well be safe. Normal car paint is meant to hold up well in normal conditions, I would say not past 200* and certainly not under normal heating. Clear will haze over with heat. High heat paint isn't much more money anyways.
            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

After half a year mine looks the exact same as the day I painted it. All I did was degrease it. No special paint or anything of that nature. No clear coat either.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

It seems this is kind of touch and go with everyone, I cannot say anything for sure about my results as I haven't done it yet, however my intake plate was done with Rustoleum professional paint and has not bubbled or anything. Also there is no clear on it though, so it wouldn't really haze.
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Just clean it good sand it and paint it will the paint of your choice. No spray can clear coat will stay clear anyway. You dont need high heat paint, yes it gets hot but not hot enough to require high heat paint. And you dont need clear for the paint to last if its enamal which most spray can is, it was made to be used without clear. That is all.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

Bought black enamel, high heat just to be safe. I'll probably mask off the lettering on the cover.
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Lettering? That plate comes off of the intake with 4 star drive bolts. T12 sockets if your using fancy talk.
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

.....and some engine degreaser to clean shit up first. Stupid question, but can I paint up the TB, too?
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Im not seeing why you couldn't. Especially if its removed.
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

yeah you can paint the tb. you can paint your alternator, water pump, ac compressor, all the brackets. if you get out of hand with different contrasting colors and shit it looks like a circus engine though imho
                            I personally like stuff to look clean, presentable, and like it could have possibly been produced that way

Comment

Working...
                            X