Trouble codes 44 and 94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble codes 44 and 94

KOER codes: (copy+paste from the sticky)

44) Secondary air injection system inoperative - right side (R)

94) Secondary air injection system inoperative (left side) (R)

1991 CV with stock 5.0 LOPO 90k miles

Is this because my A/C belt is off?
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

probably lol but who cares about stupid emissions crap lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
      probably lol but who cares about stupid emissions crap lol
      Not me that's for sure.....but I thought it was said that these cars didn't give a crap about the air pump not being hooked up?
      Former panther owner
      1981 CV 351 4bbl
      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

yeah, its because the smog pump isn't turning. It sets codes, but it doesn't actually do anything else.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
          Not me that's for sure.....but I thought it was said that these cars didn't give a crap about the air pump not being hooked up?
          Those shouldn't cause a check engine light though. At least I didn't think so. My car had no problem with no smog pump.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Well this all does kinda' make sence to me.
            If I let the car warm up it either doesn't flash the check engine much (or at all).
            And that's what the pump if for right? (to warm the cats up)

There were a few times it flashed when the pump was hooked up....
            but those were VERY cold days and the car wasn't fully warmed up.
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

there's nothing downstream of the cats to set of the check engine light, the 02 sensor is in the manifold IIRC
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Smog pump heats heats things up upstream to if I remember right though.
                Probably what is setting the light off (I think).
                Former panther owner
                1981 CV 351 4bbl
                1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

it shuts off the air to the back of the heads within a few minutes of startup. It does help warm the O2 sensors a little bit quicker, but honestly if they aren't warmed up by the time the computer switches to them with their internal heater, they're probably shot anyway.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So my o2 sensors are suspect then?

I'm having no drivability issue's.
                    If not for the blinking light I'd have no indication that the computer wasn't happy.
                    Former panther owner
                    1981 CV 351 4bbl
                    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

If its not causing you problems and your fuel mileage hasn't gone to shit, don't worry about it. If you happen to be replacing the exhaust and have an excuse to put new sensors in, do it but otherwise if its not broke, don't fix it.

Comment

So bad o2 sensors can cause shitty mileage? Would bad o2's come up on a test? I really think something is wrong lately because the tank seems to empty strangely fast.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah they can cause bad mileage. Last one I replaced didn't set any codes, but the fuel mileage was just horrible. Replaced it, and the gas guzzling went away. It was replaced mostly out of desperation, nothing else made sense and/or checked out OK.

Comment

44 and 94 are there because the belt is off like you were saying since the belt does the a/c and smog pump together. The codes are fine to have and have no negative impact on the car. My car has them since I have the pump off and run the smaller belt to run just the a/c alone. The only other thing is I think you won't get code 11 (system pass) since other codes are present. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that though. Bad o2 sensors will hurt you mpg numbers and I think should be replaced every 50k?
                            sigpic
                            1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                            Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

I had to replace the O2 sensors on my 88 (they were caked with carbon build up) at around 110K... the 93 vic still has the original sensors on it and it's pushing 200K.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X