1988 Crown vic with 305 smells of gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 Crown vic with 305 smells of gas

As topic says, my 88 with a 305 smells of gas as soon as i turn it off. Had a look underneath, and i can't find a leak or any dripping. Replaced the fuel filter, but that didn't help. It smells like it leaks directly under the drivers side door. Any ideas?

sounds like lines are rotted, only getting damp at this point.

in a couple weeks you will have a puddle

Comment

You mentioned in your reader's ride that you have a straightpipe set up. Any chance that there is a leak in that system? A leak+running very rich could result in a raw fuel smell that is only noticeable when the car is turned off.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

btw your motor is a 302

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post
          btw your motor is a 302
          Oh yes it is, my bad, sorry.

@johnunit
          Could be actually, never thought of that. Will check it out!

Comment

Since there is a lot of salt on the roads in that area, it very well could be the fuel lines geting soft from the rust. I would check up under to see for any signs of the gas leak.

Comment

The common fuel line rot spot is right under the driver's side A pillar. Check that line really closely. It vanishes between the frame and body and re-appears inside the fender well, but you can only see it if you pull the plastic inner fender out of the way.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, I just did that line last week. What a PITA!!!!!!!!!!! After the frame is fixed (I HOPE), I'm gonna reroute the damned thing.

Comment

Might also be a vapor line for the charcoal canister. If one of the rubber lines or metal ones rot out, it'll smell like raw gas as well.

Comment

Almost time to replace that fuel line. My '93 GM showed similar symptoms a few days before the fuel line began leaking.
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

sometimes the mist is so fine its hard to see, even when its right in front of your face..
                      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

They tend to leak more when you shut the motor off. I don't know why. You'd figure it would leak when fluid is actually flowing more than when it stops flowing, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thank you for all your tips. Will check 'em all out.

Comment

Working...
                          X