89 lincoln towncar exhaust not loud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 lincoln towncar exhaust not loud

hey all i put a 2.25 in/out Flowmaster super 40 on my lincoln and it wasnt louder than stock really. Is it because of the muffer, the fact that it is a single exhaust, or is it likely the manifolds(which need to be swapped to headers). any help is great!
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

by any chance are they the delta series? i heard a 10sec mustang the other day that was barely louder than stock because of the Flowmaster deltas.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

89 town car....

you have 4 catalytic converters under there. punch em out and it will be louder. upgrade to an h-pipe and another flow 40 and it will definitly be louder. the stock manifolds really have no bearing on noise. i drove my 86 vic with punched cats, and straight pipes and it was loud as can be. i was running the stock manifolds as well.
      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Yea, if you don't have any emissions testing to worry about, get rid of those cats. They're making it quiet. Single exhaust sucks too, you need duals.
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Track down a link to one of my videos and you can see what a towncar will sound like with shorty headers, 2.5" offroad h-pipe and flowmaster 40 series

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

its the cats and the single. i might have a stock towncar H soon but you'll have to figure out how to get it to you. it wont be for a while as i'm laid up with a fucked up hand and no money.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok, I got bored enough to grab the links to the vids

~8mb burnout clip

14mb cold idle and revving clip

'80 Town Coupé

Comment

I ran with with punched out cats and no pipes and thought it was fairly quiet.
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

thats the way i want my towncar to sound like phayzer, do you have any cats on there? I dont know how I'd pass inspection with no cats (NC) can I gut the cats or take off 1 pair and make it louder?
                  1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

an off road pipe means no cats at all. from the headers to the mufflers is a 2.5" H-pipe. I've heard of people that have passed without cats, its all in how its tuned i guess. If its only a visual inspection, you can always try welding the cat heat shields over the pipe in place fof where the cats should be

'80 Town Coupé

Comment

Run a pipe thru em and weld em.
                      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

my qwuestion being, what is exactly needed to run the offroad h-pipe besides cutting the hangers? would i need to modify where one of the mufflers is gonna sit or something?
                        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

mid pipes are different, but the mufflers should stay in the same spot if the midpipes are bent to allow for it. ask scott how he did his, or ask me once i get around to doing it. the mustang offroad pipes also require changing to headers because the flanges are different on the header vs the manifolds.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                          X