A few Questions about GT40p heads.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
    Also, pending me needing to get a valve job on these things, They are not in my possession yet so I really don't know. Will roller rockers add any significant performance, not actually sure what they do to improve performance, maybe this question has an obvious answer, but I certainly do not know it. Also what would recommend if they are worth the $$. My understanding is they wont do much unless I completely rollerize this engine, and that means MAF if Im running a roller cam I believe, unless there is one with similar specs to an HO cam?
    What are you talking about? '86 and up 302 have roller cams lol.

Comment

I see, now who looks like a retard

Ok so now that I feel like I have just been pantsed in front of my class, will roller rockers add any performance worth the cost for my application of an 86 mustang cam, and gt40p heads? they have comp cam springs on them. Also I had a question about what I will need to do to break the new cam in, hes sending me the hydraulic lifters that were out of the engine it was in, should I just keep mine they are at 42k miles, I don't know if the wear on these components will matter that much or not?
      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I see, now who looks like a retard

Ok so now that I feel like I have just been pantsed in front of my class, will roller rockers add any performance worth the cost for my application of an 86 mustang cam, and gt40p heads? they have comp cam springs on them. Also I had a question about what I will need to do to break the new cam in, hes sending me the hydraulic lifters that were out of the engine it was in, should I just keep mine they are at 42k miles, I don't know if the wear on these components will matter that much or not?
        There's not really a "break in" period on a roller cam. Since nothing really wears out on a roller cam. I don't know crap about rocker arms and stuff. You'd best be talking to MrLTD or Lincolnmania, or possibly even Pirate/The Auntie Christ about that stuff.

Comment

Ok im surprised they haven't stumbled on to this thread yet, Ill see what I can find out.
          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Just search 1.7 roller rockers. There's a lot of good threads on them. The crane "cobra" ones seem to be a favorite (and also what I have).
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Ok im surprised they haven't stumbled on to this thread yet, Ill see what I can find out.
              This is about the time you wait and see I guess. One by one they all post what you need to know... you could try sending scott a message on aim. If he's at his computer, he'll answer.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                reduced valvetrain friction is the biggest one, but if you go from a 1.6 rocker to a 1.7 rocker, the valve lift is increased. The stock valve lift figures are given assuming a 1.6:1 ratio rocker (stock). Using a 1.7:1 rocker gives a little more lift with the same cam. Its not a bunch, but it helps a bit.
                found this in one of the threads. Does this help?

From what I read it allows a little more valve opening, allowing more air to go in. And safe to assume a better scavenging affect on the exhaust side.
                Last edited by 86VickyLX; 02-22-2010, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Yup it does, I actually PMed scott about the clearance issue, hes always good about getting back pretty quick, and he did. Another question I would have is, I was looking for a set of aftermarket vavle covers, just to make her look a little better, this car is a daily driver and undercoated yearly, so not much in the way of keeping the bay clean, but I know the intake comes in off the other side, and there have been reports of aftermarket valve covers not fitting, I also want to make sure they will work with 1.7 rockers too, my understanding is the cobras will fit under stock covers so it should be ok with aftermarket. My main question is has anyone had success with aftermarket valve covers? Im looking at matte black edlebrocks right now, I don't like chrome.

Thanks for everyone's help and putting up with my stupidity... Haha.
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Yup it does, I actually PMed scott about the clearance issue, hes always good about getting back pretty quick, and he did. Another question I would have is, I was looking for a set of aftermarket vavle covers, just to make her look a little better, this car is a daily driver and undercoated yearly, so not much in the way of keeping the bay clean, but I know the intake comes in off the other side, and there have been reports of aftermarket valve covers not fitting, I also want to make sure they will work with 1.7 rockers too, my understanding is the cobras will fit under stock covers so it should be ok with aftermarket. My main question is has anyone had success with aftermarket valve covers? Im looking at matte black edlebrocks right now, I don't like chrome.

Thanks for everyone's help and putting up with my stupidity... Haha.
                    How tall are they?

Comment

Lets me check this.
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I believe the problem with the aftermarket covers were due to height, and the upper intake. Also the placement of the filler cap, but that should be left up to the disgression of the buyer. (as in you pick where you want it)

Comment

Says they have ample height to clear roller rockers, But not how tall they are.
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/41603/10002/-1

Says they have ample height to clear roller rockers, But not how tall they are.
                            If they work under fuel injected set ups I would say go for it.

Comment

Working...
                            X