No announcement yet.

Scary cruise control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loves my cruise control. Gets used on almost a daily basis.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

I tore all of that shit out of the Lincoln.
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        Hey Thain, I was wondering, what happens to you when you turn on the cruise control system, then press the off button? Just like tap it. Mine engages the cruise control at the speed it was at. if I hold it the cruise control is shut off. Am I the only one, or is that how it was made (I don't think it is though...)?
        It should shut off. The only time it should engage at the last speed is when you hit the resume button. If the slip rings under the steering wheel are dirty though, it will respond somewhat erratically. Those 5 buttons operate through 2 wires. The way the cruise module knows what button you pushed is by how much resistance it sees across the wires. If the contacts are dirty, it may get some arbitrary resistance and give you the wrong results. Dirty swiches can do that too. If you're careful, you can remove the switches from the steering wheel, pull the rocker button off the top, and spray some contact cleaner in them to fix that up. I overhauled mine when I replaced the steering wheel and it fixed the dead spots and wierd crap that the cruise used to do.
        Last edited by gadget73; 02-19-2010, 11:21 PM.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I remember the cruise on my 92 was pretty dumb. It would floor it then coast down then floor it again. And the cruise on my 91 doesn't work at all. I must be the only one that doesn't like cruise control. Or maybe it's because everyone around here drives to retarded for it to be useful.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

i dont use mine much. it works fine, but nobody else maintains a stable enough speed for me to make use of it.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              It should shut off. The only time it should engage at the last speed is when you hit the resume button. If the slip rings under the steering wheel are dirty though, it will respond somewhat erratically. Those 5 buttons operate through 2 wires. The way the cruise module knows what button you pushed is by how much resistance it sees across the wires. If the contacts are dirty, it may get some arbitrary resistance and give you the wrong results. Dirty swiches can do that too. If you're careful, you can remove the switches from the steering wheel, pull the rocker button off the top, and spray some contact cleaner in them to fix that up. I overhauled mine when I replaced the steering wheel and it fixed the dead spots and wierd crap that the cruise used to do.
              Right, I was reading about that from the EVTM. It's not too much of a problem since the only real time I turn off the cruise is when I step on the brake, and as long as that works, I'm not too worried about it. Thanks Thain.

Comment

Working...
              X