Engine miss...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine miss...

Well, Today we found the engine miss on the '84.... Tuned it up last week... but it had a dead miss every once and a while while you were sitting at a stop light while in gear... It was driving me nuts... so today we put it on the scope.. everything checked out.. So we started carefully shaking wires under the hood... over near the right side of the engine.. there was a little worse of a miss when he would get in a certain area.. so he went to take the air cleaner off to check the area out.. and the car promptly died!!
    On closer inspection.. we found the idiot that owned the car last tried to splice the wires for the throttle position switch.. (looks like he changed it out) he not only did a crummy job using the crimp on connectors, he didn't even get one tight.... (The one that came apart and caused the car to die) ONE of the wires was TWISTED together and taped with tape.... There was about 12 inches of extra wire... so we cut out the bad part of the wire... And put new connectors on, with shrink wrap on top of that.. and it started right up.. and no more engine miss.....
    I would have NEVER thought of that causing the engine to miss... actually, I guess it was causing the car to almost shut down... I am glad we found it like we did.... it would have been a BITCH to find if the car quit somewhere and didn't restart.... Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Wow, damn. :guns:
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I hate when people do shit like that. :cuss:
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

:nonono:

YEah, Tom knows all about TPS's on CFI cars, i changed mine in his front lawn!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

My 86 would run real bad like that too. But I didnt even have a tps on it. Made it tricky taking off around the yard. Yall should have heard that thing knock.
          1989 Grand Marquis LS
          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Nice. I had one of my map wires rot off in the connector. Took me forever to figure out the problem.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

that sucks! i hate when people work on stuff that shouldnt have tools
              at least you found the problem.....that is good
              scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Car...

Scott.. And NOT on the side of the road!!!

And the car runs REALLy good now! Tom.. you need to come by and hear it run.... Hopefully I will have some video of it running soon....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Working...
                X