No announcement yet.

The Merits of an HO swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's your only car, and you do not want to pull it off the road for too long, you'll need to buy all those parts. The old heads I have are 79 302 heads off a Lincoln versailles that were ported. They need rebuilding though, just likethe engine. So, I just bought the explorer motor.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
      If it's your only car, and you do not want to pull it off the road for too long, you'll need to buy all those parts. The old heads I have are 79 302 heads off a Lincoln versailles that were ported.
      It takes less than 2 hours to pull your old valve covers, dampener, timing chain cover and oil pan, clean them up and bolt them onto your Explorer engine.
      I am willing to bet that unless your old heads were professionally ported that the GT-40 heads will outflow them with smaller ports.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
        If it's your only car, and you do not want to pull it off the road for too long, you'll need to buy all those parts. The old heads I have are 79 302 heads off a Lincoln versailles that were ported.
        It takes less than 2 hours to pull your old valve covers, dampener, timing chain cover and oil pan, clean them up and bolt them onto your Explorer engine.
        I am willing to bet that unless your old heads were professionally ported that the GT-40 heads will outflow them with smaller ports.
        Sure, if you have a sand/bead blaster and a team of people to paint and clean the stuff up. I want my motor to look decent, not like the old 150K mile motor that was in it before. I hope the Gt-40's will, but those old heads were done by a local quite reputable shop.

*edited for offensive language*

Comment

Sure, if you have a sand/bead blaster and a team of people to paint and clean the stuff up. I want my motor to look decent, not like the old 150K mile motor that was in it before.
          Oooo Kaaaaa.......

Comment

?? You must work really quickly to be able to do that. I sure as hell can't do that much work in 2 hours, cleaning, sanding, painting, scraping, pulling everything off, not neccesarily in that order.

I can do both valve cover gaskets in like an hour....

Comment

Just wondering, what do you driver Mercracer?

Comment

I can do both valve cover gaskets in like an hour....
                I can see your point if you do not have access to any decent equipment. Anything that is really grungy I can haul over to my work and clean up in a solvent tank and use a sand blaster.
                You have to remember that the engine will already be out of the car with everything disconnected and the upper intake off. Most of the time, brake cleaner an air nozzle and a die grinder with roloc bristle discs make for quick cleanup.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                  Just wondering, what do you driver Mercracer?
                  My daily driver is a 91 P72 302 car.
                  The toy on the road right now is a 83 Capri. My 91 Mustang was painted and I am going to be putting that back on the road over the next several weeks. Then the 91 CV is going in for a transplant.

Comment

I have no shop, no solvent tank, no air tools, no engine stand. Not even any crappy equipment! I do my work in the back yard of my parents house. Back when I actually worked as a mechanic and had access to a shop, an engine swap was a couple hours saturday afternoon. It's a little more difficult now.

Kinda why I almost would prefer the HO conversion. Four hours with minimum tools. Quick and dirty. I miss having a shop-tranny swaps in the grass aren't fun. And I've done a few...

Comment

Working...
                    X