Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Water pump time belt driven?

YO fellas,

I'm going for an Ho Upgrade pretty soon an thought the water pump should be replaced as well as the timing belt.

A question: Is the water pump time belt driven?

I ask so I can shop around for a water pump.

Thanks

Fellas if this post is already on the boards i apologize for my lazyness
    1990 EFI Crown Vic Lx sigpic
    1964 Lincoln Continental (not running)
    1963 Lincoln Continental (running)
    1995 Honda Accord(Stolen)

I dont think it is... When i look at my water pump the belt is attached to the alternator as well.

When i look at my timing cover the harmonic balancer is the other thing i see. no belt.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

these cars have timing chains and gears. you have to remove the water pump to get at the timing chain cover to access the gears and chain. you should also opt for getting an oil pan gasket since it should be loosened up and lowered to remove the timing cover. i just did this recently so i know the different headaches i faced.
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Water pump/'altanattor belt

Timing chain

Old water pump with harmnic balencer under it
        People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic View Post
          you should also opt for getting an oil pan gasket since it should be loosened up and lowered to remove the timing cover.
          not absolutely necessary but it's a good time to do it..
          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Yo fellas,

Thanks for the Info.

Another question I have is:

Timing Chain, is there a specific kind for the HO upgrade or do I just go for a stock Lopo one?
            1990 EFI Crown Vic Lx sigpic
            1964 Lincoln Continental (not running)
            1963 Lincoln Continental (running)
            1995 Honda Accord(Stolen)

Comment

On a semi-related note, is it possible to change the pan gasket without lifting the engine?
              I'm thinkin thats a no, but thought I'd check (dual sump, don't look like theres enough clearance).
              '90 Mustang GT vert
              '89 GM - 189K & rising
              '07 Daytona - cuz i don't have enough money to build a car this quick

Comment

No specific chain, but try and get a double roller. It will have two prongs on each tooth instead of one loong tooth. They don't stretch as much as the singles do. The stock one should be a double roller but half the time when you seek replacements, they bring out the crappy single roller chain.

You have to jack the motor up to get the pan gasket out. If you have a rubber and steel gasket originally, they seldom leak so you don't have to replace them. I'm running an original with 230k on the Mark VII and it still doesn't leak after doing a timing chain on it. Honestly if you're planning on doing a pan gasket and an HO swap, you'd be ahead of the game just pulling the engine and doing it on the stand. It would also be a good excuse to clean and paint the engine and engine bay. If you do pull the engine out, I'd probably spring for a new oil pump and either a new pickup, or a really good cleaning of the pickup and a cleaning of the oil pan to get any sludge out.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yea your pan is likely to rust through before the gasket lets out. Dont ask me how I know.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah good point. I imagine living up there in New England they tend to rust. Actually if its really leaky and there is a good thick coating of goo on the pan, it may be better in the long run to just leave that alone lol
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X