HELP! real head scratcher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! real head scratcher?

Hello, I'm new, used to go to crownvic.net but can't get on for some reason.
    SOOO heres the problem, a few months ago I bouth an 87 crown vic lx, and it started to randomly quit, it will quit at idle or any speed going down the road 35, 45, 65, Just dies like it shuts off here is a list of what has been done so far.
    It has a new TPS, IAC, I ran codes and the dizzy moduale came up so now thats new, it still died, so I did the fuel pump (by the way every part helps it run better but hasn't yet solved the problem) when it another time I checked the plugs no spark so I replaced the coil, it still dies.
    I am baffeled short of replacing the computer? could it be fuel pressure regulator? but when it dies I can hear the new fuel pump prime and it wiil crank and not sputter or chug or anything.
    It always starts again between immeadiatley and up to an hour or so later, it can run flawlessly for hours(took it on a 5 hour trip died once for an hour or so) or it will run for 5 mins and dies.
    no more codes come up and it has no vacuum leaks that I can find?
    I am relly stumped I really need this car, but I dont know what to even try next, I hate to sell it its in good shape, or I have to park it and its becoming a carbed car Im so tired of the sensor hunt. Please help me panther brothers.

I also was wondering if someone can link or paste this on crownvic.net as well or any other forum please, and thank you.

Comment

Have you checked the connections at the two large connectors between the firewall and the rear of the engine? there's one black one and one white one, and they're round - often referred to as the "salt and pepper shakers". When those get corroded, they make all kinds of funny things happen.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

O.K. yeah I havent checked those yet, I will clean them tonight.

Comment

Did you replaced the pickup inside the distributor? The code that you'll get is something about erratic PIP signal, which is the pickup in the distributor. That doesn't usually set a code though, more often that code is from bad connections. If the connectors all check out OK, replace the pickup. Without that, you have no spark and no fuel.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Did you replaced the pickup inside the distributor? The code that you'll get is something about erratic PIP signal, which is the pickup in the distributor. That doesn't usually set a code though, more often that code is from bad connections. If the connectors all check out OK, replace the pickup. Without that, you have no spark and no fuel.
            What am I looking for here? the harness that plugged in the moduale? or is there something in the Dis? also where is the computer for these cars? and fuel pump relay?, basically Im going to clean every conection I can find tonight.

Comment

The '88-'91 GM's have a plug that goes bad with corrosion under the alternator. All the cars in the scrap yard that I looked at had the plug cut off or the wires were soldered together. I had to solder them on both my cars to solve the problem. I don't know if your model has that connector though. Just a thought.

Comment

I had the same prob replaced everything come to find out it was a wire on the connector that pluges into the coil, it had come loose and when it came loose it would shut me down. Once on the highway infront of a semi truck.

Comment

Originally posted by 89crownlx View Post
                  What am I looking for here? the harness that plugged in the moduale? or is there something in the Dis? also where is the computer for these cars? and fuel pump relay?, basically Im going to clean every conection I can find tonight.
                  Pickup is inside the distributor, and sort of a bitch to replace. You have to remove the distributor, drive the pin out of the gear, press te gear off the shaft, remove the shaft, then you can replace the pickup, then put all the parts back together. Or you can get a reman distributor and drop it in. Just be aware that there are iron and steel distributor gears. Your 89 should be a steel gear. Just make sure it looks the same as the replacement if you go that route. Iron is cast, the steel should show machine marks on the faces of the gear.

ECM is located on the driver's side, near the brake booster. Look for the big bundle of wires going to a rectangular plug on the firewall. Thats the ECM connector. ECM itself is removed from the inside of the car above the brake pedal after disconnecting the big plug. 10mm socket in the middle of the plug holds it on.

Fuel pump and ECM relays are hanging on the driver's side fender just behind the washer bottle. I forget which is which, but they should be together under the small plastic relay cover on the plastic inner fender. The wires on those relays do get flaky, and the connectors sometimes fall apart. Either one could cause random crap like you're seeing.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Pickup is inside the distributor, and sort of a bitch to replace. You have to remove the distributor, drive the pin out of the gear, press te gear off the shaft, remove the shaft, then you can replace the pickup, then put all the parts back together. Or you can get a reman distributor and drop it in. Just be aware that there are iron and steel distributor gears. Your 89 should be a steel gear. Just make sure it looks the same as the replacement if you go that route. Iron is cast, the steel should show machine marks on the faces of the gear.

ECM is located on the driver's side, near the brake booster. Look for the big bundle of wires going to a rectangular plug on the firewall. Thats the ECM connector. ECM itself is removed from the inside of the car above the brake pedal after disconnecting the big plug. 10mm socket in the middle of the plug holds it on.

Fuel pump and ECM relays are hanging on the driver's side fender just behind the washer bottle. I forget which is which, but they should be together under the small plastic relay cover on the plastic inner fender. The wires on those relays do get flaky, and the connectors sometimes fall apart. Either one could cause random crap like you're seeing.
                    OK yeah I was looking at the pickup last nigth and was wondering how hard it was to get out, you just answered that question, soo prolly looking at a dist swap thanks for the help guys.
                    oh and for any future reference, the car is doing the same thing it was doing when the dist moduale went out, which came up in the codes, last night ran codes and the one for PIP failure came up.
                    Last edited by 89crownlx; 11-03-2009, 07:36 PM.

Comment

just another idea starter solonoids on the fender have a tendency to cut out when they go bad id check that too.
                      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

mine started that right after i got it it as soon as it gets a bit of heat and very random , it ended up being the pick up in the dist. and its alot easier to swap the dist than replace the pick up inside
                        sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                        87 mercury grand marquis
                        88 crown vic lx
                        89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
                        89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
                        00 ford crown vic lx hpp
                        03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

Originally posted by 89crownlx View Post
                          Hello, I'm new, used to go to crownvic.net but can't get on for some reason.
                          Big surprise there!
                          There's a tool to pull the tfi module, it's like a weird skinny 4.5mm socket. Just take the bolts out and put the new one in.

I'd be willing to bet that you got a shitty TFI module, and it's overheating and shutting off the spark. Replace the TFI module with another one and see if the problem persists.
                          Last edited by 86VickyLX; 11-05-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Fuel pump has a green harness plug, and ECM has a brown one.

Comment

Yeah I put a reman dist in it, I found that a tapered deepwell 7/32 worked great for my TFI mod bolts, dropped in got the timing right the first time runs great now thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X