max TV operating pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

max TV operating pressure

I was thinking about getting a cheap mechanical oil pressure guage and mounting it under the hood permanantly connected to the TV pressure tap. What should be the max pressure that thing will see when driving? I don't want to get a guage that is too low a range and bend the needle or something, but I also don't want to get one that won't show me pressure in a fine enough step to adjust it properly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I would get one that maxes at 400-500psi. I made a post of what mine were. My pressurse are high, since that was my old busted ass tranny. You should normaly not hit above 400psi. This is off of the Main Line pressure tap. I'm not sure of the others.

Comment

Hm, I was under the impression the TV pressure tap ran under different pressure than the main pump line. I also don't think a guage that tops at 500 psi will be graduated fine enough to set the 0-5 psi at idle that it should be.

Did a bit of Google looking, and came up with this: http://www.tciauto.com/instructions/431000_inst.htm

It says to use a 100 psi guage, but I don't know if that will be enough max pressure. I'll go look at the cheap guages they have at Autozone or whatever and see what I can come up with. It'll probably be whatever the cheapest mechanical oil pressure guage that can be found.

Now I just have to go look at the car and decide where to mount the guage and how to route the lines so they won't burn through. I'm thinking I have some space over on the driver's side fenderwell for mounting something.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep, main line is what the TV cable effects. To set it, I use a gauge that goes up to 150psi. However, since you are permenantly using this gauge, you will have to accomidate both setup and driving.

Comment

FYI, running the TV higher (more than 5psi at idle) is no problem for the tranny. It just effects how it shifts. Basicaly, that is what most "shift kits" do. They just adjust the resulting pressure from the TV cable, set to 10-15psi, and it will feel much firmer, and hold the shifts longer, adjust to your liking.

Comment

Working...
          X