Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks good

Comment

got the fan controler installed and hooked up, it works well and Is keeping the engine cool.
      need to find a good place to permenantly mount the temp gauge.

I did discover the engine is using oil since the head swap. pretty sure I messed up a couple valve stem seals when I installed them. I tried taking them back off and re-installing, but guess it didnt work.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
        got the fan controler installed and hooked up, it works well and Is keeping the engine cool.
        need to find a good place to permenantly mount the temp gauge.

I did discover the engine is using oil since the head swap. pretty sure I messed up a couple valve stem seals when I installed them. I tried taking them back off and re-installing, but guess it didnt work.
        Do a leakdown test before you attempt another seal install, as I suspect something else being amiss with the increased engine oil usage since the head installation....

In addition, I wouldn't stress too much about the exhaust-side seals (I leave mine off); it's the intake side you need to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
          Do a leakdown test before you attempt another seal install, as I suspect something else being amiss with the increased engine oil usage since the head installation....

In addition, I wouldn't stress too much about the exhaust-side seals (I leave mine off); it's the intake side you need to worry about.
          I had planned on doing a leak down test, However the engine didnt use a drop of oil until the head change and I know I botched up at least 4 seals on the first head I did.
          oil usage is not significant, just enough to be annoying.
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I see you mention tubular headers from a TC - What advantages would these have over Mustang headers on an otherwise stock 302? Would there be any difference? I want to put a set of Mustang headers on it when I do the dual exhaust upgrade but a friend said it may not be as simple as bolting them up (which is what I'm looking for, pulling a lot of stuff out just to do this isn't something I want) so I'm looking at other options.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
              I see you mention tubular headers from a TC - What advantages would these have over Mustang headers on an otherwise stock 302? Would there be any difference? I want to put a set of Mustang headers on it when I do the dual exhaust upgrade but a friend said it may not be as simple as bolting them up (which is what I'm looking for, pulling a lot of stuff out just to do this isn't something I want) so I'm looking at other options.
              The tubular TC manifold will bolt directly to your current exhaust, the mustang ones will not. And if you manage to get them bolted together the exhaust will leak.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Gotcha. Would not be doing it with my current exhaust system, if that matters. I'm buying all of the parts for duals and either taking my time and learn how to do them myself, or being impatient and paying a shop to do it in an afternoon

I'm not sure I understand why everyone uses Mustang manifolds but it won't bolt right up? What is everyone doing?
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post

I'm not sure I understand why everyone uses Mustang manifolds but it won't bolt right up? What is everyone doing?
                  They are also installing a mustang H pipe.
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    They are also installing a mustang H pipe.
                    I'm hunting for one but the hunt does not go well. What's the difference between a mustang h pipe and the h pipe for one of these boats that an exhaust shop would sell me?
                    sigpic

Comment

sorry for the n00b questions in your thread btw...but i know both jack and shit about these things. they'd bolt to the engine fine, right, just not the stock exhaust? since i don't need cats around here i might just go with a catless mustang h pipe.
                      Last edited by 1990LTD; 12-14-2009, 04:52 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

From my understanding everyone goes with the mustang pipes because that is the easiest way to bolt headers to both the car and exhaust.
                        ~David~

Comment

pipes are totally different. Mustang H pipes contain the converters, and have a crossover behind the cats. Our cars have individual down pipes with converters, and the H or Y bolts up behind the cats. The routing is different, and the flanges are different. You can't bolt a Mustang pipe in place of Panther downpipes or H pipes, or vise-versa.

The tubular manifolds probably offer some flow advantage over stock iron logs, but I doubt its huge. Weight savings is probably every bit as useful. The bigger problem with the exhaust is the stock mufflers and small tailpipes. The manifolds and the stock downpipes on a stock motor aren't much of a choke point. Headers help, but its not a make or break deal. Usually people add them because they bolt up to the Mustang H, and that allows relatively easy upgrades of the rest of the parts. If you had the stock style exhaust modified to have a larger pipe size for the H, and upgraded the mufflers and tailpipes you'd have a very nice setup that fits better than Mustang parts. Phayzer has a custom H and downpipe arrangement (all one piece) thats basically a drop-in replacement for everything forward of the mufflers on his Towncar and its really nice. Couple that to nice mufflers and the Impala tails and you'd have a super system. Nobody does that because a lot of exhaust shops would charge a small fortune for such custom work if they do it at all, and it has no off the shelf parts. The Mustang stuff you can order everything you need from Summit and hang it yourself in a weekend.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Forgive me if I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like it's either all Mustang stuff, all stock Panther stuff, or custom, right?

Sorry for n00bing up your thread..starting my own now
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X