Price Check - Rear Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price Check - Rear Ends

How much should a complete rear from drum to drum/disc to disc go for at junkyard? I am looking for a 3.08-3.27 trac lok to replace my open 3.08s and I'd bet a complete rear from a junked car would go for less than getting the gears setup with a new carrier. Also do the axle codes on the door stay the same for newer aero boxes? Might as well go for the disc brakes while I'm at it.
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

good questions, as I would like to know myself. I think that I have 2.83 or some crap rear end on mine. I need more scoot!

Comment

Re: Price Check - Rear Ends

Originally posted by nitroracer
      How much should a complete rear from drum to drum/disc to disc go for at junkyard? I am looking for a 3.08-3.27 trac lok to replace my open 3.08s and I'd bet a complete rear from a junked car would go for less than getting the gears setup with a new carrier. Also do the axle codes on the door stay the same for newer aero boxes? Might as well go for the disc brakes while I'm at it.
      a guy in the classifieds had a 3.55 for 100.00, with gas going up I guess my 3.08 will do.
      2000 Grand Marquis LS
      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
      Mercury Owners Group member
      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

id shop on ebay for a trac loc, hard to find 28 spline ones at the junkyards. i paid $75 for my trac loc, shipped. got my 3.73 at the junkyard, they get $25 or so for a ring and pinnion. i was going to do the rear disc conversion, gettin the backing plates and crap from a 92+ GM or CV... after i got some new parts and some junkyard parts it was going to cost me about $160 to do that conversion. so yea... its not cheap, but if you do it yoursself its not too bad.

grand_marquis_gt: "Wow dude, you got the GMGT sedan!"

there, now im cool too

Comment

:slug: $35-50 at the local yards..........i'll help u with it if u would like
          btw it was nice to see you at scottfest! it was a big hit!
          scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I can get an entire rear axle for under $100 up there? If thats the case I'm gonna look for a complete one from an aero car and swap it in with all the disc brake goodness. I was expecting something in the area of $150-$200 for an axle.
            -Matt

Comment

55 bux for any rear end at the local u pull it here.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Yea man i got mine from a yard in VA for $46....I thought they were playin. It was a u pull it style yard.. I have a 3.55 posi. Its a rear off a box thou..
                The Best
                Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

100-200 bucks will get a complete parts car...

A note, most of the axles I've seen have wasted pass side axle bearings and axles. I'll have an extra rear in a bit, once I get the 3.73 one back from the shop.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Well if I do run into those problems with the passenger side axle couldn't I just add new bearings and my old passenger side axle and be reardy to go again?
                    -Matt

Comment

The axle usually gets torn up. I used 2 drivers side and new bearings on my rear. It's no big deal, just something to check when you get the axle.

The pass rear on my wagon is howling like crazy. It's not leaking but it's friggin loud.

Comment

i end up using the repair bearing on the passenger side axle most of the time.....they run about 30 bucks

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yay for axlesavers!

Comment

Working...
                          X