keep the sefi, convert to carb SPEAK YO MIND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep the sefi, convert to carb SPEAK YO MIND

i'm yanking the 84's motor to build up at some point and i was thinking about tossing it in shifty when i was done. i was gonna do a full ho on the beast but at the same time i want to clean up the engine bay. no ac, no emissions, just the motor and everything needed to run the motor. thats it. keeping it injected would be more reliable i know, but the engine bay wouldn't look as pretty. but i would have more options as to intakes and such if i kept it fuel injected.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

You may have better mileage with FI........
    Other than that, carb gives you a huge amount of intake options depending on what your performance goals are. The biggest advantage to a carb is its simplicity and the go fast parts you can buy (or just beer) with the money you will save by not doing an EFI conversion.
    4000lb Mustang.......say that over and over until it registers.
    That is the key to the mindset which will get your car rocking.
    I will now throw in my once a day plug for making an easy low 14 second or better car by just bolting an Explorer motor in with a better cam instead of rebuilding a worn out 302............................................... ................................done.

Comment

Convert to a carb, easier and cheaper. Also will allow you to make serious hp without flashing computors and changing most of everything for more expenive parts.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I guess I'm an EFI guy. I like being able to just hit the key and it runs. No tweaking, tuning, or dicking around with it to keep it happy every time the weather changes. It always runs at optimal, not just when the weather is the same as it was when you tuned it. Better on fuel too.

As someone (Blaze's dad actually) said "carbs change, EFI adapts".
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You'll actually have about the same amount of options for intakes with carb. and they are WAY cheaper than an EFI intake. Of course you need to buy a carb. My old carb cars were just as reliable as the EFI.

I'll also second mercracers comment. Price a decent rebuild including labor. The exploder shortblocks are a viable option. I got a complete 96 motor-oil pan to intake, wiring and injectors for 1550 from a guy on corral. So that 1550 got me essentially a GT-40 engine, all brand new. I just swapped the cam out, upgraded the valvesprings, and put a double roller timing chain in.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
            I guess I'm an EFI guy. I like being able to just hit the key and it runs. No tweaking, tuning, or dicking around with it to keep it happy every time the weather changes. It always runs at optimal, not just when the weather is the same as it was when you tuned it. Better on fuel too.
            As someone (Blaze's dad actually) said "carbs change, EFI adapts".
            That is fine for a daily driver, but not true for a hot street/strip car. Even with EFI, you wouldn't run the same tune at Bandemere that you would at Pomona. Without a switchable chip or a programable tuner, you are stuck with the same fuel and spark maps.
            Then there is the cost......try pricing out a good performance fuel/ignition setup to replace/upgrade your weak factory EFI system.

Comment

Working...
            X