Cooler line leak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooler line leak!

Yesterday, I finally put in my transmission out of the vic, in the marquis. Every thing went in with no problems except for those nylon shifter arm bushings/grommets. I finally started it and put fluid in her and to my suprise everything works great. The trans go hp kit went in well and works!
    So I look underneath it and I find a tiny puddle of transmission fluid. It comes from the transmission cooler lines that are as tight as I can get them but they still leak where the pipe goes into the threaded fitting. I also really dont like that they move in and out of the fitting. So due to rain delay I will try to fix it tomarrow. And I find that I ruptured the fuel return line. Once again proving my thought that I am plagued with fixing one thing and having another one break. I still have to fix gaskets and other shit.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Re: Cooler line leak!

Originally posted by Mercmarquis
    Once again proving my thought that I am plagued with fixing one thing and having another one break.
    You are only plagued with the decision to buy and fix and old car......all par for the course.

Comment

And I accept that and really almost like it. It's just a little funny though.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

buy new fittings from Ford... problem solved.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Those quick connects wear out and leak after a while. They cost like $5 each to replace and you need a tool to release them.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh, so is that what those plastic things around the end of the fitting are and once you get them out the fitting will also come out? Also where do I get this tool or can I use something else?

Comment

Just ask for a quick release tool at the parts store. Most should know what you're talking about. It looks like a bushing split in half and attached to the end of needle nose pliers. Thats about the best descrip I can give. The steel line will come out bare with just a flare on it. The white plastic parts come in the fitting itself. Pop the lines out, use a socket to pull the fittings, put the new fittings in then snap the lines in.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What do you mean by quick disconnect/snap in to the lines? I have an 85 so were there any differences with the newer models. I think my 89 might have the quick disconect cause the fittings different.

Comment

The fittings on the end of the lines look like standard threaded connectors, but they aren't. The steel lines can actually be removed from the threaded part without cutting off a flare or anything. The tool slides into the back of the threaded fitting just around the steel line and releases it. Its a pain in the neck, but they do come apart. Its a possibility that you don't have quick release connectors, but I know they were used in 86. Look for white plastic "ears" that stick out a little on the back side of the threaded part. If you have those, its a (not so) quick release connector.

Comment

Thanks,it is all fixed now and the quick disconnect connectors came out real easy with the tool. I'll get some tags tomarrow and see how she runs! :slug: :banana: :rock:

Comment

Working...
                    X