Sudden loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudden loss of power

ok ........ let me start off by saying that ive already changed the spark plugs, performance cap and rotor, ignition coil, transmission rebuilt, battery(with new wires and post), fuel filter and ignition switch. When I start the car ... everything is fine, drives great. But after about 15 minutes ..... it seems like im having a slow loss of power and it gets worst as i drive. When I try to accelerate it jerks and bucks. Also, after cutting off the car, it wont start unless i wait for about a hour. The car doesnt have a temperature gauge on the dash, but everything in the engine bay is very hot after driving. Has anyone ever had this problem or can suggest a possible cure for my problem????

First, check the level of coolant in the radiator, make sure it's full. Do it while it's cold though. If it is low, fill it up and fill the reservoir. Start it up, open the hood, stand to the side of the car. Do you feel any air being moved by the fan? If not, that's the problem, the cooling fan isn't pulling air, and you're overheating. Does your red light come on?

Comment

Could be overheating. The ECM will drop cylinders when the motor gets waay too hot. Does the red replace engine lamp come on at all? Does it come on when you turn the key to on, but not start the motor? If it doesn't, I'd bet the bulb is burned out and its not telling you that its overheating. Really need to find out whats going on with it, or you can do major engine damage by running it too hot.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

without some kind of temperature guage or thermometer, or coolant blowing out of the rad it's probably not overheating. The cars run pretty warm.

I'd suggest replacing the TFI module or the entire distributor.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
        X