X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long block HO VS upgrading LOPO

What would you do?

My LOPO has 80,000

I can get a 17000 mile rebuilt HO for 500.
    upgrade my 80000 mile lopo.
    0%
    buy the HO and drop it in.
    0%
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

convert the lopo......ho converted lopo's seem to have more ass

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'm gonna have you listen to it. I hear a faint noise, wonder if it's the lopo rattle.

Does an HO conversion help that?
      2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

yes, it does help the lopo knock.

I did my Ho conversion at like 180,000 miles! Ran it to over 250K before body was too far gone and trans blew out.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

my 89 vic has the original shortblock from mikes wagon.......it's gotta have 180,000 miles on it by now..... runs well and gets decent mileage

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Assuming this is for the '85, do you know for sure whether you have a roller block to work with?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              Assuming this is for the '85, do you know for sure whether you have a roller block to work with?
              Nope, for the Mark VII, is a roller
              2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

I say just swap the HO in. I would imagine it would be easier putting an engine in than taking it all apart to convert the lopo motor. And depending the year,it should have forged internals,(lopos have cast dished aluminum pistons)
                [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

It'd be a lot cheaper to convert what you have, but that's not a bad deal for such a low mileage long block if it hasn't been beaten on continuously for those miles, like are those how many miles the motor has on the rebuild, or how many miles the block has?

How many miles does the wagon's motor have?
                  88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                  Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I'd get the HO, if for no other reason than the parts you need will cost you close to what that motor is going to cost you. Also, the fact its complete and low mileage is a plus. I'd probably clean and paint the HO, and drop it in complete. Less time to swap a full motor than to tear down and re-assemble one. Also its less hard on the back. Hossing those heads out and back on is a real pain.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I would convert the lopo, only because i like busting knuckles
                      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

a LOPO with only 80,000 on it? sure it's not 180,000 or 280,000?
                        '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

This is the lopo in his Mark VII. Judging by how minty it is, its definitely no more than 80K.

I'd do the whole HO as well, Ray. Its a fresher engine, and should at least have the better pistons, as was mentioned earlier. Plus, it'd give you the chance to paint it up, like Thain mentioned, which would make the car even more minty fresh than it already is!
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

well if the governor gets off his ass, I may buy the HO...

:bs:
                            2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Hrm, that's a tough one - I'd say that going with a modified (even if not fully converted to HO) lopo, from what I've read, is about as satisfying as an HO judging by some posts.

Still, a 17K mile HO for $500? That seems like the way to go.... hard deal to beat.
                              1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
                              Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
                              Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
                              Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

Working...
                              X