Freshening up a Bronco 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freshening up a Bronco 5.0

I think I've mentioned this project before, but now that I am "finished" my 64 F100 project, I'm getting ready for some work on my 87 tudor. Here's the lowdown.

The 87 has a bad ring on #8, and consumes oil fairly voraciously. It also has an intake gasket leak.. ohh, and 170k on it. I have a 94 Bronco, with the 5.0 and E7's, sitting in my driveway just waiting to donate. I plan on getting a master gasket kit for the bronco's motor, and provided it doesn't need any machining work done (it ran like gangbusters a year and a half ago), just drop it right into the tudor.

And now for the questions.

1. Which gasket kit should I get from RockAuto. The bronco kit is a different part number, and several of the gaskets look different. It also has the truck style Intake gasket. But will the kit for the 87 GM have everything I need to freshen up the bronco's motor, understanding that I'm going to use all the accessories incl. water pump from the Tudor on the Bronco's motor.

2. Other than the different oil pan and sump, motor mounts, and intake setup, are there anyother roadblocks I could face in this swap?

3. Would the cam from the Bronco be any better than the stock GM cam?

4. And finally, I am not going for a full HO conversion, due to budget constraints, so the GT40's, and messin with the intake and TB aren't in the cards. Knowing that, if I decide to do a little headwork on the E7's, how much should I be prepared to spend?. If its too much, I'll prolly just put new valve seals on and bolt em up.

Thanks for any input mangs.
    The Admiral

Originally posted by HerMajestysMechanic View Post
    I think I've mentioned this project before, but now that I am "finished" my 64 F100 project, I'm getting ready for some work on my 87 tudor. Here's the lowdown.

The 87 has a bad ring on #8, and consumes oil fairly voraciously. It also has an intake gasket leak.. ohh, and 170k on it. I have a 94 Bronco, with the 5.0 and E7's, sitting in my driveway just waiting to donate. I plan on getting a master gasket kit for the bronco's motor, and provided it doesn't need any machining work done (it ran like gangbusters a year and a half ago), just drop it right into the tudor.

And now for the questions.

1. Which gasket kit should I get from RockAuto. The bronco kit is a different part number, and several of the gaskets look different. It also has the truck style Intake gasket. But will the kit for the 87 GM have everything I need to freshen up the bronco's motor, understanding that I'm going to use all the accessories incl. water pump from the Tudor on the Bronco's motor.

2. Other than the different oil pan and sump, motor mounts, and intake setup, are there anyother roadblocks I could face in this swap?

3. Would the cam from the Bronco be any better than the stock GM cam?

4. And finally, I am not going for a full HO conversion, due to budget constraints, so the GT40's, and messin with the intake and TB aren't in the cards. Knowing that, if I decide to do a little headwork on the E7's, how much should I be prepared to spend?. If its too much, I'll prolly just put new valve seals on and bolt em up.

Thanks for any input mangs.
    The Admiral
    Are you going to bore the block? I have a new set of KB .030 over flat top hypereutectic pistons hung on resized rods with new rod bolts available....I'm not using them with my 302, so they're up for sale....

Comment

Wasn't planning on a bore out, machine shops around here wants an arm, leg, and three major organs from your first born. But, if I was, what all would I have to do to use them for my application? Being flat-top will just increase my compression when mated with the E7's, right? Also, would they require any machining of the crank? And lastly, perhaps most importantly, how much are you looking to get for them?

Comment

Wasn't planning on a bore out, machine shops around here wants an arm, leg, and three major organs from your first born. But, if I was, what all would I have to do to use them for my application? Being flat-top will just increase my compression when mated with the E7's, right? Also, would they require any machining of the crank? And lastly, perhaps most importantly, how much are you looking to get for them?
        1. Bore the block .030 over.

2. 9:1 compression with those heads.

3. They bolt straight to the rod journals. They are 5.0 connecting rods, nothing special about them.

4. I'm going to package them up for sale, and get a shipped price sometime here in the next few days....as I said, I'm going long-rod with the 302 in the garage, so I don't need them.

Comment

1.get the gasket kit for the CAR
          2. timing cover
          3. doubtful (probably the same)
          4. Don't waste your time if you are not going to do any other upgrades The intake is the biggest restriction.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Thanks for the input. I figure that down the road, as finances and time allow, I can always get an HO upper and lower/TB/etc and do a complete HO upgrade. Since the Bronco cam isn't any better than what I have in the GM, mebbe I should get a 4x4 cam for it while I have it all apart. I did some looking and may have found a place to do some machining for me, if so I'm gonna have em put new cam bearings in when they have it. So I may as well consider a cam.

((Edit)) According to RockAuto, the replacement for the Bronco's cam, is the same as used for the 97-01 explorer/Mountaineer. Apparently the cam from my GM is the same as the one used in Bronco's up to 93.
            Last edited by HerMajestysMechanic; 07-08-2009, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Later cam has more lift, and a different firing order. If you go with the late cam, you really do need a Mark VII ECM and the 19# injectors, the intake, etc. I'd do it, but thats just me. A used HO cam is also a good option, but it needs the same stuff.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i guess you dont know george livergood, he's one of the best and he's always done me good.......your right tho most of the shops in your area are a rip......ams charged me 65 to bore out a egr spacer......george was charging me 15, but he was on vacation

crank should be checked if you have the engine out......if the bronco motor has miles on it it's a good idea to at least have the crank polished and replace the rings and bearings

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                  i guess you dont know george livergood, he's one of the best and he's always done me good.......your right tho most of the shops in your area are a rip......ams charged me 65 to bore out a egr spacer......george was charging me 15, but he was on vacation

crank should be checked if you have the engine out......if the bronco motor has miles on it it's a good idea to at least have the crank polished and replace the rings and bearings

The Bronco motor had a new bottom end in it at 75k, it has 140k on it now. I'm kinda hoping to avoid havin to go that deep. If I can dodge bottom end work, I may be able to get together what I need for the HO instead. If I want to go crazy after that, I'll always have the block currently in my 87, to tear down and get crazy on.

Comment

At a minimum, I'd pull a couple bearing caps and have a look while the pan is off. I'd also look over the walls and make sure you can see some crosshatch marks. Better to know now than to hope its good. If its not had the crap beat out of it, and the oil was changed once in a while its probably fine tho.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thats the plus of usin the Bronco motor. I put all but 45k of the miles on it. I know it had regular oil changes, and while it may have been run hard, it never towed anything, and I never really "beat" on it. But good call on the caps and cylinder walls. The amount of machine work I do will depend on how bad it looks.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I wanna do this as right as my budget allows

Comment

You know....if this motor has that few miles on it, I'd just freshen it up a bit, and instead snag some GT40P heads.....and add an intake later.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                          You know....if this motor has that few miles on it, I'd just freshen it up a bit, and instead snag some GT40P heads.....and add an intake later.
                          I thought about it, but I don't have the money for the heads/manifolds. I already have the E7s off the Bronco, and the cam to go with it. Once the cash starts flowing better, I'm considering taking the block I'm pulling from the GM, and getting it bored/all new bearings/etc.. And then goin full bore with GT40p's and such.

For this build though, bein budget, I think I'm gonna just try and get away with the E7's and the HO intake. Should wake the car up nicely, and get rid of all the pesky oil burning/leaking/fouling out issues it currently has.

Comment

Working...
                          X