Maybe crazy idea - box body on newer chasis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe crazy idea - box body on newer chasis

I was just wondering whether it would be possible to place the box body (89 colony park) on much newer frame and chasis from PI. How difficuilt would it be. I am asking, because in few years (2, 3) complete renovation of my car will be needed and it would be great to have suspension, frame, brakes, engine, transmission.... from 2000+ PI with body of 89 colony park.
    sigpic

I think there is some talk of how 2003+ cars are similar. I havent heard anything more than just talk though.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Do you have a '03-up chassis available to refer to? If so, you might even be able to make measurements yourself.

I very much like the idea of such a swap ....
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        Do you have a '03-up chassis available to refer to? If so, you might even be able to make measurements yourself.

I very much like the idea of such a swap ....
        Mike (MrLTD) has been wanting to do this for a long time.

I provided both Mike and Scott with a diagram, and approximate dimensions of the locations of the bodymounts on an '04. I also had a bunch of pictures.

I don't have the pictures, diagram or measurements any more. Maybe one of them does.

Edit: Actually, I lied.

One second....
        Last edited by P72Ford; 07-03-2009, 03:45 PM.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

See the attachment for the picture #s.

#1:

#2:

#3:

#4:

#5:

#6:

#7:

#8:

#9:

#10:

#11:

#12:

#13:

#14:

Some of the pictures are alittle confusing.

I also have some pictures of the watts link, etc.
          Attached Files
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Not to mention a box body with a 4.6 engine in it!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
            Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Newest I'd ever personally go is 2002. I hate rack and pinion steering.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Newest I'd ever personally go is 2002. I hate rack and pinion steering.
                Maybe so, gadget. But the handling would be GREATLY improved. You would lose 90% of the slack in the front end caused by the tie rods, centerlink, idler, and pitman arms. Throw in a set of poly bushings in the control arms, and some low profile tires, and a nice thick set of sway bars, and I bet that car would handle like it's on rails!
                MIKE

Comment

Originally posted by PICKUP6772 View Post
                  Maybe so, gadget. But the handling would be GREATLY improved. You would lose 90% of the slack in the front end caused by the tie rods, centerlink, idler, and pitman arms. Throw in a set of poly bushings in the control arms, and some low profile tires, and a nice thick set of sway bars, and I bet that car would handle like it's on rails!
                  MIKE
                  The steering preciseness would be greatly improved, the actual grip is a completely different thing. My wagon handles like it's on rails, and it's an 89 chassis. It didn't drive or handle any better than the trilogy marauder I drove. You can ask anyone that has ridden in it how well it handles, and how easily I can outrun a newer panther chassis car Or talk to any of the guys at the autocrosses I whoop up on.

_a different MIKE

To the OP, the back end will need some modification of the sheetmetal in the cargo area, since the rear suspension is a bit different. Not to mention the changes in the firewall and floorpan for the newer motor and suspension. In theory it's pretty easy, it'll jut require a bunch of sheetmetal work. I'll bet most of the bodymounts and stuff bolt up.. The rear frame section will need modification too, because the wagon frame is different length than a sedan behind the axle.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Can the sheet metal work be substituted with a big hammer?
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                      The steering preciseness would be greatly improved, the actual grip is a completely different thing. My wagon handles like it's on rails, and it's an 89 chassis. It didn't drive or handle any better than the trilogy marauder I drove. You can ask anyone that has ridden in it how well it handles, and how easily I can outrun a newer panther chassis car Or talk to any of the guys at the autocrosses I whoop up on.

_a different MIKE

To the OP, the back end will need some modification of the sheetmetal in the cargo area, since the rear suspension is a bit different. Not to mention the changes in the firewall and floorpan for the newer motor and suspension. In theory it's pretty easy, it'll jut require a bunch of sheetmetal work. I'll bet most of the bodymounts and stuff bolt up.. The rear frame section will need modification too, because the wagon frame is different length than a sedan behind the axle.

MIKE, P.M. SENT.

Comment

i like this idea. would probably be much easier with a sedan, though.
                        Last edited by 70torino429; 07-05-2009, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PICKUP6772 View Post
                          MIKE
                          I don't have slop in my front end. The car tracks extremely straight and doesn't have that typical dead front end slop in the wheel. All the rack cars I've driven have been touchy to the point that they got tiresome to drive after a while. The slightest shift in road evenness requires correction, and they seem to have a very vague on-center feel compared to the old box setup. Again, just my opinion. My priorities may be somewhat different, I want to point the car down the road and drive it for 12 hours comfortably, not toss it around corners on windy roads all day.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                          X