Transmission Fluid Leak!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Fluid Leak!?!?!

Hey guys I have a problem with my '87 GM. This morning to get out of an accident I had to smash it at WOT. After returning to normal speed, the transmission starting slipping out of gear and it seem to want to downshift. After stopping I realized all the transmission fluid(red fluid??) leaked out. I tried to add some more fluid with some Lucas transmission treatment but after cranking it the fluid would leak out again. Luckily I got it back home. I'm thinking it is the front seal. Can anyone suggest where to start about this problem? Thanks any help would be appreciated. Also this is my first problem with the car.
    @Ryan.Madison68

check the trans coolant lines. They run from the trans to the radiator. if it's coming from the bellhousing you are screwed.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Meh, I've been driving mine with a leaking front seal for almost a year now.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Plz tell me I'm not screwed. What's the bellhousing? It leaked all the way out. It looks to be coming from the two bars on the passenger side that seems to extend to the dipstick. Sorry for the lack of description.
        @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

Originally posted by LeviMM View Post
          Plz tell me I'm not screwed. What's the bellhousing? It leaked all the way out. It looks to be coming from the two bars on the passenger side that seems to extend to the dipstick. Sorry for the lack of description.

The bellhousing is where the engine connects to the transmission. If its leaking from the frontmost portion of the transmission, its the pump seal.

You are more than likely talking about the lines. They can be tightened. They could be rusted though... that may be why they are leaking. if noty, be careful tightening them. Tubing wrench and another wrench to hold the large fitting should be all you need.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I would tend to agree with the others - start by checking the simple stuff first, i.e., the cooling lines. It's entirely possible that by flooring it, you made the engine and transmission torque up enough (in other words, the engine/tranny twisted slightly within the car) that a rusty spot on one of the cooling lines decided it was a good time to turn into a hole. Also could just be a loose fitting as Nate (P72Ford) said.

If that doesn't stop the leak, you'll have to clean all the fluid off of the housing, refill it with fluid, let it run a bit and see if you can see where it's coming out. Personally, I doubt it's the front seal, as it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would just go all at once. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it just seems unlikely.

Good luck, and if you don't find it, it may help to post some pictures so that we can better assist you.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

It was the trans coolant lines fitting. I had them replaced and some more transmission fluid and now it'll hold the fluid and drives pretty smooth. Thanks for everyone's help and Nathan hit it dead on.Do you think any further damage could have been done to the transmission? Should I install a trans cooler? Again thanks for everyone's help and advice...
              @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

Usually the cooler line connectors at the radiator leak. never had one at the transmission leak before, but I guess anything is possible.
                2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                  Usually the cooler line connectors at the radiator leak. never had one at the transmission leak before, but I guess anything is possible.
                  I had one of the cooler line on the radiator pop out on me while driving.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If you catch the car on fire, the ones at the trans leak. Just a bit of personal experience
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X