Gas tank questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank questions

I am looking to change the way my fuel system is setup on my carb-to-EFI conversion. How hard is the tank to drop on an 85CV, and does anyone have any pics of the sending unit / pickup I can look at beforehand? I may be doing a single, external pump instead of the clumsy accumulator setup, but I would like to know what I am up against first. Thanks for any help, I would like to get this beast drivable this week and this is one of the last issues I am having [other than the final wiring].
    sigpic
    https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
    1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
    1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
    2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
    2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

The gas tank is not easy. Just take your time and you should be fine. Unplug the Fuel float ( You'll see it when you look under there), then Take the bands loose that holds the tank on and it should fall down. You may have to wiggle it down. Then you'll see where the fuel pump is and your lines. Just unplug and take your lines off and pull the tank out.

I droped the tank in my 88 Merc and my 86 Crown Vic and swaped it and put back in one day. Just make sure the car is up high enough so you can get the tank out. Oh and be sure you dont have a full tank of gas. LOL

Comment

Justin,

Here you go. Panther parts are your best bet, IMO.

I'll even take the intank carb pickup and the lines that come with it if you don't want em
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Damn. That's a good helpful piece. I didn't event see that when I did mine. LOL

Comment

Now I see what I am up against. Great write up, Blaze! As for me I am planning on using my Walbro and some stainless braided lines all the way to the fuel rails. I have Springlock to AN adapters which are awesome and make teh 351 fuel rails practically plug and play. I just need to get the stock pickup adapted to the Walbro, and I will probably use a bulkhead for the -6AN return line. I would much rather do this than continue to try to mount and fuck with that accumulator setup. There is not enough room under the car and it would look stupid under the hood lol.
          sigpic
          https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
          1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
          1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
          2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
          2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

Makes sense. I'll just pull one at the yard, they have carb'd boxes
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
            X