CFI guru-ism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFI guru-ism

im new to the cfi camp so ive got lots of questions and lots to learn. i looked under my hood intently tonight, for the first time just taking in the scenery, trying to familiarize myself with whats going on under there. i know its essential not to have any vacuum leaks in the system so i checked that out thoroughly. everything seemed to be kosher except whomever put the egr on the spacer succeeded to only put one bolt through the gasket, the rest is just hanging on there crookedly. i guess thats not helping much. i will fix that tommorrow evening. i started the night after work by ripping the stock exhaust off. took a mere ten minutes. i love working on a lift. i also took the manifolds off, another thing i had never done on a lift on these cars. its amazing how easy that was....that brings me to my two major questions....

1. the little guy on the back of the drivers side manifold with a vacuum controlled blade - what is that doing for me and what if it disappeared. my best guess is that it is just used at start up to warm everything up faster, as well as the thermistor?? coming off of it, like the old jeeps. both of these will probably go away. im planning on putting shorty headers on it, actually they are already on. for the time being i have just followed that vacuum line back to the block and capped it off there. is that sufficient? what have you cfi guys done with that when you modify the exhaust.

2. the oh so touchy subject of the air pump.....it also may go missing(i dont plan on driving more than 5000 miles a year). is that as simple as removing it as well as all of the hoses/pipes that go with it? and in doing so will i effect the running of the vehicle? im thinking not because it is its own seperate system. i plan on plugging the holes in the back of the heads with bolts. what size are they, i used to know.

anything else i should be considering when doing all of this?

also, is it counter-productive to put e7s on the motor and keep the stock lopo cam?
    Last edited by tim marks; 06-25-2009, 10:08 PM.
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
    1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
    http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

tim
    i've done headers and duals on two cfi boxes.......just get rid of the vac line for the flapper in the manifold......doesent seem to hurt a thing

the threads in the heads are 5/8" but i doubt you will ever get a bolt in there, the threads are always carboned up......just cut the air pipe apart and bolt the ends on backwards with new gaskets

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by tim marks View Post
      also, is it counter-productive to put e7s on the motor and keep the stock lopo cam?

You have it apart, just swap in an HO cam while you are in there...
      2000 Grand Marquis LS
      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
      Mercury Owners Group member
      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

missed that part
        i know how you like to drive tim......efi ho conversion is your best bet......i was just out for a ride in a customers all stock 84 grand marquis......should have seen the line of cars behind me coming up the mountain

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
          missed that part
          i know how you like to drive tim......efi ho conversion is your best bet......i was just out for a ride in a customers all stock 84 grand marquis......should have seen the line of cars behind me coming up the mountain
          +1

My 85 CFI is a fricking dog compared to my 87 SEFI LOPO

You need to get Jan upgraded some time
          2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

that thing is a dog......was carrying on near the top of 25 too coming out of hegins.....cant even hear the exhaust, but not sure she wants her gmq to roar lol

Comment

You could help it some with that spacer upgrade... and a quiet dual exhaust.

I know that new muffler you put on mine actually helped some.
              2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

i bolted the dual exhaust up tonight. headers on back to side exits. sounds pretty mean for what it is. im anxious to taker her down the road. scott, you keep temtping me with the efi ho upgrade. i liked my 86 a lot, but theres something about this cfi that is intriguing to me. maybe i just havent had enough problems to get mad at it yet. i would love to have a roller motor in there, but i dont have the money to do that right now. i think im going to stick to the ported e7s with the upgraded exhaust, and have a comfortable cruiser that sounds good. ill run my 96 when i want to be thrown back in the seat.....

i hope to be getting the e7s on in the next week or so. ive got a lot to do before SF09
                1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
                1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
                http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

I'd be considering sticking a timing chain in there at some point. the stock CFI ones had those nylon teeth, and they get really sloppy. By 85k or so, they're done.

And yeah the smog pump and all that bs can go away. Leave the solenoids there, but you can get rid of the vacuum to them. ECM would like to see them in place electrically, though it doesn't really do anything bad if you take them away totally. It just sets different error codes.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X