No announcement yet.

cam selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, by smaller I was meaning duration. My Crane 444211, for example, is actually .530 lift on both sides while keeping the duration fairly narrow.

I think 85CrownHPP* is the one to talk to about concerns with your CFI system ... only suggestion I really remember was to try to get a HO CFI (LTD LX or automatic Mustang GT) ECM, and I think the throttle body as well, and select a cam similar to the stock cam from those cars.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

sounds good to me, ill have to PM him. thanks for the help, im new to the CFI so i gotta start from scratch
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
      1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
      http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

that motor we built still running tim? what did you do with the e7 heads that we ported?.....put those on the grand marquis if you still have them
        if you are going to run the cfi, i would be real careful about cam selection.....i'd say no more than a stock mustang cam.....would suck to have a cfi motor that wont run right

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Lunati has a Voodoo P/N with a 1000-5000 range... might be of interest.

I was actually thinking of using an XE262H grind... which I believe was 1300-5300, or similar. The XE258 is a little bit milder...

There are lots of 4x4/ truck cams (which would be good for a big car), some pulling from off idle to 4500 or so.

With anything radical, you're going to need more gear, and a looser converter to get it out of the hole effectively, and realize the true potential.

A hot rod CFI is untested waters, for the most part. Most people convert to carb, and a few have gone to SEFI. A big cam probably won't play nice with the CFI...
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

This is the cam i'm going to be running along with a carb swap and a transgo AOD-HP shit kit(sets the WOT shift at 5500 rpm).
            sigpic

Comment

if you are running CFI I get the smallest cam you cam find with the largest lobe seperation . Basically, stay with a stock cam or it will not run well, if at all. Same goes for speed density EFI, since the computer uses vacuum to sense load.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

My Crane roller is advertised to work correctly with speed-density SEFI
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Technically with a lopo and E6 heads you can run a .625 lift cam because the valves sit in the chamber higher. Only when swapping to a e7 is the limit .500 lift. E5's I'm not sure on.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

im planning on porting a set of e7s to put on it. it sounds like maybe i shouldnt mess with the cam at all then. i dont want to have any problems with the cfi. maybe once i learn more about cfi and become more familiar with it i will test the cam waters out....but for now, maybe i should stick with the stock cam. is that going to hurt me?

scott - as for the motor we built....i threw it in my ranchero. i put new valve seals in it, threw an e303 cam in as well as a new timing chain and gear set, advanced 4 degrees at the crank i think. its got doug thorley headers on it, it sounds very aggressive, and runs just as well. now i just have to get the tires to grip the road.
                    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
                    1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
                    http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

Working...
                    X