Engine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trwp72 View Post
    When I was younger, I had police cars that would out run anything around... One in particular was clocked by Texas DPS at 158 one night, and I still had a ways to go to the floor... (1977 Gran Fury 440) It and another car that one of our other officers owned bought them from DPS... they were built special for the DPS... they were unmarked felony warrants cars... The next day the left front tire blew out.... Since the tires of the day were only rated to 120 mph. So don't tell me about going fast... I restored this car to be a daily driver, and to show at car shows... So no, I really don't care about it going fast... If I want to drive something fast, I will drive my 5.0. H.O. "baby" 84 LTD....

And by the way, what do YOU have to drive?
    Clocked at 158mph. That's a great story, with emphasis on the 'story' part.

What do I have to drive? Just some old turd Thunderbird I'm working on. It wouldn't interest you, as by the time it's finished, it will go faster than a shopping cart.

Comment

When I was younger, I had police cars that would out run anything around... One in particular was clocked by Texas DPS at 158 one night, and I still had a ways to go to the floor... (1977 Gran Fury 440) It and another car that one of our other officers owned bought them from DPS... they were built special for the DPS... they were unmarked felony warrants cars... The next day the left front tire blew out.... Since the tires of the day were only rated to 120 mph. So don't tell me about going fast... I restored this car to be a daily driver, and to show at car shows... So no, I really don't care about it going fast... If I want to drive something fast, I will drive my 5.0. H.O. "baby" 84 LTD....

And by the way, what do YOU have to drive?
      i dont mean to bust your balls but, uhh.. the 77 gran fury wasnt available with a 440 in 77. so...unless you guys actually swapped in a 440 from a 74 or previous model, im going to call bs on this one.

available engines for the fury in 77 are as follows:
      225 cu in (3.7 L) Slant-6
      400 cu in (6.6 L) V8
      360 cu in (5.9 L) "LA" V8
      318 cu in (5.2 L) "LA" V8

Comment

Originally posted by 70torino429 View Post
        available engines for the fury in 77 are as follows:
        225 cu in (3.7 L) Slant-6
        400 cu in (6.6 L) V8
        360 cu in (5.9 L) "LA" V8
        318 cu in (5.2 L) "LA" V8
        None of which made more than 200 hp in 1977...

Now, if we were talking 1969 Polara, 440 police package, maybe we'd be talking a 140 mph top speed.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

alot of people bent out of shape because dude doesnt wanna do anymore than stock. he might not be worried about what other people thing. Could be thats how he feels about it. so staying stock as a rock get him off?

good luck on it, i wanna see the before and after of the engine bay.
          BTW, i restored my engine bay back to stock. its a lowrider...not one piece of add on chrome. but i did put a H.0. Intake and a Holley so im not really in the same boat.

Comment

Damn, I meant to comment on the engine/ topic at hand, earlier.

We have been through this HO vs. stock thing before with Tom, when he discussed an engine replaceemnt. He is set on using the standard output engine. It is clearly important to him that his restoration is as authentic as possible, right down to the performance. I say bravo to the dedication...

Pictures will be nice...
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I don't know where you got your information... But I here is the list of Plymouth and Dodges I have had with the 440...

440's were in the Plymouth and Dodge police package cars until 1978, after that, the largest Cu. In. you could get was the 360 in a Police Car.
              72 Polara 440
              73 Polara 440 Florida Marine Patrol car
              77 Fury 440 Fort Bend County, Texas--patrol unit
              77 Fury 440 Fort Bend County, Texas -- unmarked
              77 Gran Fury 440 Texas Highway Patrol
              78 Fury 440 Florida Highway Patrol
              The engine in both of the cars that were ordered in 1977 for the felony warrants unit was special order... The 440 HP came stock at about 295 Horesepower, if I remember right. The two cars that my friend and I had were not "stock" by any means...

You are talking to someone that has driven Police cars for the last 35 years...

Not some snot nose teenager that doesn't know what the hell he is talking about...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
              Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Definitely going to need pics of the new engine in your car...............and details on how you cleaned up the engine bay.

On a side note, my uncle loved his HO police interceptor. It's the reason he drives only Ford vehicles.

Packman

Comment

Good one about the snot nosed teenager!

Hm, that would make me somewhat a snot nosed teenager too ....
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I don't know where you got your information... But I here is the list of Plymouth and Dodges I have had with the 440...

440's were in the Plymouth and Dodge police package cars until 1978, after that, the largest Cu. In. you could get was the 360 in a Police Car.
                    72 Polara 440
                    73 Polara 440 Florida Marine Patrol car
                    77 Fury 440 Fort Bend County, Texas--patrol unit
                    77 Fury 440 Fort Bend County, Texas -- unmarked
                    77 Gran Fury 440 Texas Highway Patrol
                    78 Fury 440 Florida Highway Patrol
                    The engine in both of the cars that were ordered in 1977 for the felony warrants unit was special order... The 440 HP came stock at about 295 Horesepower, if I remember right. The two cars that my friend and I had were not "stock" by any means...

You are talking to someone that has driven Police cars for the last 35 years...

Not some snot nose teenager that doesn't know what the hell he is talking about...
                    i never said you didnt know what you were talking about. im saying the 440 wasnt an option for 77 or 78. the 73 and 72 440 polaras are legitemit.

oh yeah, and my sources?

chryslers original shop manuals. my dad has them for every dodge, plymouth or chrysler made from 65-80. i think im going to believe chrysler on this one..

Comment

One does hear stories of police departments once having actually modified their cars before sending officers out in them, versus now where they buy a bone-stock Crown Vic and stick lights and decals on it and call it good. I like the older stories better.

Comment

I've heard stories about Lightning powered box PIs installed from siezed vehicles. IDK what kind of deal the PDs have with the car manufacturers. Probably close to what the civilians have where you void the warranty when you mod the cars/trucks.

Packman

Comment

Ok, so I did some of my own research.

Previously, I hadn't looked into the engine availability in 1976, but was thinking that a 440 was available in the late 70s, seeing as I have seen a late 70s Mopar police cruiser at a local show, with a 440. (I also have pics of the '80 St. Regis with 440 +6; obviously not original, though).

http://www.allpar.com/squads/history.html

Tom is right. 245 hp, which would never move such a car to 158 mph.

But, the other engines available (everything from a slant 6 in a valiant, 318, 360, were right around 200 hp, or less). I don't see any mention of the 400 after 1975. Maybe I just didn't see it.

440 was available, but was nowhere near powerful enough to power the car to 158 mph.

Comment

He said 295 ....

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                              Ok, so I did some of my own research.

Previously, I hadn't looked into the engine availability in 1976, but was thinking that a 440 was available in the late 70s, seeing as I have seen a late 70s Mopar police cruiser at a local show, with a 440. (I also have pics of the '80 St. Regis with 440 +6; obviously not original, though).

http://www.allpar.com/squads/history.html

Tom is right. 245 hp, which would never move such a car to 158 mph.

But, the other engines available (everything from a slant 6 in a valiant, 318, 360, were right around 200 hp, or less). I don't see any mention of the 400 after 1975. Maybe I just didn't see it.

440 was available, but was nowhere near powerful enough to power the car to 158 mph.
                              huh, didnt know that. must have been a police only option though, since it isnt listed for the civilian wrongs. i admit my mistake for not knowing that.

245hp? jeesh, thats pitiful for an engine of that size. but thats the late 70s for ya.

Comment

ENOUGH OF THIS FAGGOTRY!!!

70torino, this is your final warning. Cease and desist, or you know what happens.
                                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                                X