Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made a CAI and some perdying up under the hood (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a CAI and some perdying up under the hood (pics)

I made my CAI from a sheet of aluminum riveted to make a tube, with carpeting and another tube inside for insulation. I took off the upper intake and valve cover allong with a bunch of other things and cleaned and painted them up. I don't have duals but i can feel it breath more in the higher RPM's. the sound is surprisingly smoother also, and when i hit the gas a whistle sucking sound lets me know she's getting air ha.
    I had to do this painting in a day and when everything was all apart down to the valve covers off, my arm got chewed up by a wire grinding wheel...took the skin right off like nothin. i had to clean up my arm(watch my mom freek), clean the spattered red paintjob on the intake (ew) and put in another 6 hours. lol. got er back together by sunset (smile).
    haha anyways... here she is doesn't look like crap now when a friend says pop the hood.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by merc91; 06-10-2009, 08:28 PM.
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

wow your engine bay is so clean how to you get it that way and keep it that way, nice job on intake, dont you hate when you get bit by your own tools lol
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

it's not a CAI if it's sucking air from under the hood, right behind a big heat exchanger.

But damn, that's clean under there. I like the paint scheme on the intake manifold
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Was gunna say that but you know he lost blood on it I give him sometime till we told him that cause i was gunna suggest getting 90tc fan shroud so you can relocate washer bottle and make a tru cold air
        sigpic
        1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

ha thanks, i use gunk engine degreaser and hot powerwash, then throw a little silicon spray on it to keep it looking clean and makes for easy cleaning. but i sanded down everything that wasn't pitch black... allot of stuff haha, then painted it black a while ago to keep it looking clean and black under there.
          the thermometer i put next to the filter for a 20 min drive read 5 degrees higher temp than outside air so i'm fairly happy with that. i have a open space that brings cool air in around my overflow tank. besides, the stock rig was pulling in cold air to begin with, i just wanted to free up the flow and get some crap outa the engine bay. at 1hp per 10 degrees it's not important to me anyways.

thanks boys
          HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Wow very clean engine bay! good job.
            1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
            1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
            1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
            1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

+1000 on the engine bay.......damn!!!!!!

Packman

Comment

Looks awesome, I hope to clean up my Mustang's motor like that when I stop being lazy.

So you don't have duals on it yet? Cut off the muffler and everything behind it, maybe use a bent piece of pipe to run the exhaust out the side. That'll free up a lot of power temporarily until you can get an H-pipe and performance mufflers.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

well i don't have the $$ yet to make more power under that hood, so i might as well make it look good at least lol.
                  yeah i'm 17 and part timing it at sears after school so i'm saving for limited slip 3.73 swap in august then full mandrel 2.5"duals with headers,H-pipe, and flowmasters for around winter. just got my rims and rubber so i'm back in saving mode haha. so until winter, i think i might cut the y-pipe and run 2 simple straight pipes back to 2 mufflers and then just dump it there for now

Comment

I would keep the y-pipe and run it out the side with no mufflers, it'll flow better that way and the 4 cats will keep it quiet enough for you as long as the exhaust doesn't exit under the cabin which is why I say you should put on a piece of pipe running it out the side. It'll probably drone and resonate if you dump it, you can reduce the drone with a side exit. You'll want the y-pipe to balance both pipes instead of straight pipes and no crossover, you'd get less torque doing that and that's really bad losing torque on a stock Panther.
                    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Looks very nice. Nice color paint as well.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

nice

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

very nice engine bay indeed!! want to clean mine???

Is that a stock ford truck air filter???
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post

That is what it looks like!
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                              very nice engine bay indeed!! want to clean mine???

I would say so, as we use that one for the E-350/450 vans with the 5.4, and 6.8 engines. Now get rid of that damned 2G alternator, before ya start a fire in that nice, clean engine bay!!!!
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X