A little progress, and yet another project car. LOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little progress, and yet another project car. LOL

I finally got some time to finish up scrapping the old 91 in the barn and get the place reasonably clean. I have a friend who is supposed to come get the carcass (loaded with scrap metal) later this week with any luck.

That means that at long last I can start on the wagon. I have decided to finish the engine and tranny then put them in the car in one piece. I hope to have it on the road by Christmas.

On a side note, I also found yet ANOTHER project car. It is an 89 Grand Marquis Colony park wagon for $400. It is solid as a rock, but cosmetically rough. It runs and drives well though. The interior is the same color as my wagon and other than the seats, it is in decent shape. I will take the nicest pieces from the 89 and put in my 90.(what fits anyway)
    The 89 will do beater duty and replace the suburban for trailer pulling and off road work. (minimal, no 4X4 required) This will free up my current wagon to be a cruiser with no extra equipment.

We are coming into a little money so we are selling our Suburban ($3800 if anyone is interested)and buying the wife a 95+ low mileage panther. Since I will have a little left over to play with. Aside from a few things I still want to buy for my wagon, I am picking up a set of 84 Cadillac Fleetwood springs, an ebay 4.56 ring and pinion set and some cheap 33" tires. (This thing is not intended for interstate travel as you may well imagine.) I also have a c6 laying in wait if the aod craps out. (still not worried about gearing, even with the c6 the engine will only be turning 3200 rpm at 65mph which will be as fast as it will ever need to go) The body on this thing has no serious dents but it is scraped up a bit and has more dings than a doorbell factory so I have no qualms about taking a sawzall to the fenders to make clearance. As for turning radius, I am more worried about the tires hitting the firewall or frame than I am about the fenders during a sharp turn. I may want to see if I can weld a bracket on the frame to limit the steering travel if I have to. At any rate, I will mount one tire and see how it goes before taking the final plunge.

SO in the end picture this, a gray box wagon with fake wood on the sides, geared really low, and standing tall on stiff springs and 33" tires, with off road lights on the roof and a big ugly battering ram of a bumper up front.

It will be the ugliest car I have ever put together, but it will be fun, semi practical, and totally stress free. If I feel like washing it this year fine, if not, that's fine too.
    Friend: "Hey Bryan! someone just ran into your car!"
    Me: "hahaha... um are they ok?"
    Friend: "yeah, they just knocked the spoiler off their <insert name of small ricerish car here>."
    Me: "BWAHAHAHAHAHA!"

At any rate it seems like one of those projects that for around 1000$ total I can have some immediate gratification and a whole lot of fun. Almost every car I have owned in recent years has been to nice (not to mention to low to the ground) to really treat this rough. I haven’t had this much fun planning anything in years.

Pay no attention to the person hiding under the passenger side of the dash... it will be my wife trying to keep anyone from seeing her riding in it.

Bryan
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Redneck heaven! :chainsaw:
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Hillbilly Heaven.

Sheesh! when will you yankees ever get that straight.

Axle codes
      Open/Lock/Ratio #
      -----------------------
      G / H / 2.26
      B / C / 2.47
      8 / M / 2.73
      7 / - / 3.07
      Y / Z / 3.08
      4 / D / 3.42
      F / R / 3.45
      5 / E / 3.27
      6 / W / 3.73
      2 / K / 3.55
      A / - / 3.63
      J / - / 3.85

Comment

sounds like fun bryan!
        nice to see u stop by.........any chance that u can make it to scottfest?
        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

sounds like fun bryan!
          nice to see u stop by.........
          Thanks, I drop in from time to time, to check things out.

any chance that u can make it to scottfest?
          scott
          Probably not, I try to stay close to home unless I am on vacation. I promise to post pics though.

Bryan

Axle codes
          Open/Lock/Ratio #
          -----------------------
          G / H / 2.26
          B / C / 2.47
          8 / M / 2.73
          7 / - / 3.07
          Y / Z / 3.08
          4 / D / 3.42
          F / R / 3.45
          5 / E / 3.27
          6 / W / 3.73
          2 / K / 3.55
          A / - / 3.63
          J / - / 3.85

Comment

Those 33's wont fit on the front. Even my 31's rub the frame but its smooth metal so it wont hurt anything. Knock the rubber bump stops off the upper suspension arm on the front and the wheel will drop further without hurting anything. And if there a 12.50 youll have to get offset wheel and hack the fenders on the back to make em fit. I speak from experience.
            1989 Grand Marquis LS
            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Oh yeah Bryan, I think im going to go with a 4K#Fe style cable clutch...
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Southern Pride (cool name BTW) How much more offset do you think it would take to keep the 33/12.50/15's from being a problem.

As for fender clearance, I have a sawzall :chainsaw: and I am not afraid to use it.

Axle codes
                Open/Lock/Ratio #
                -----------------------
                G / H / 2.26
                B / C / 2.47
                8 / M / 2.73
                7 / - / 3.07
                Y / Z / 3.08
                4 / D / 3.42
                F / R / 3.45
                5 / E / 3.27
                6 / W / 3.73
                2 / K / 3.55
                A / - / 3.63
                J / - / 3.85

Comment

I'm not sure. I have my 31's on 5 inch wide trailer wheels i bought at the flea market. I dont know much about wheel offsets. id say 1-2 inches farther out than the stockers. Given how much the back of these cars can flex you will have to chop a whole lot.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Update:

I just found a nice low mileage 8.8" trac loc carrier locally, for $50.

A local CVN member has offered me some used tires he has on hand. They arent 33's but they are still big.

I have a line on a new ring and pinion set + someone to check the clearances when I am done.

It sounds like I am on my way....

Now I jsut need to get the wagon home. LOL

Oh and pick up some :chainsaw: blades.

Axle codes
                    Open/Lock/Ratio #
                    -----------------------
                    G / H / 2.26
                    B / C / 2.47
                    8 / M / 2.73
                    7 / - / 3.07
                    Y / Z / 3.08
                    4 / D / 3.42
                    F / R / 3.45
                    5 / E / 3.27
                    6 / W / 3.73
                    2 / K / 3.55
                    A / - / 3.63
                    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Picked up the trac-loc today

If all goes well I will pick up the car in the morning.

Axle codes
                      Open/Lock/Ratio #
                      -----------------------
                      G / H / 2.26
                      B / C / 2.47
                      8 / M / 2.73
                      7 / - / 3.07
                      Y / Z / 3.08
                      4 / D / 3.42
                      F / R / 3.45
                      5 / E / 3.27