My Gas Mileage sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Gas Mileage sucks

I have done a full tune up on my car. I mean New plug wires cap rotor tps iac egr, fuel pump and I did the exhuast too dual with headers and cats. According to my tripminder ( I think it might be just un accurate cause it seems screwy but I havent gone thru a full tank yet to fill up and see but anyways) i am getting 9.8. Thats not even flooring it. I do know that the ford dealer ship disconnected the thing that adjust my timing automaticly because it was making my car stall i believe it was the tif. (thing on bottom of base of distributor looks like a key kinda) could that be it??
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

if your talking about the tfi module on the side of the distributor, i dont know if it will even run like that, if it did run with that disconnected, it would sure run like crap.

Comment

Welcome to the terrible gas mileage club. Seriously, though, the TFI module either works or doesn't in most cases of my experience, and I've had a lot with those modules. Ever do your wheel bearings?

Comment

Not yet. The thing is I wasnt getting bad gas mileage till now before my exhaust rotted off I was gettin like 17 around town.
        sigpic
        1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Exhaust can be somewhat funny that way. The back pressure it creates on your engine can be beneficial, but I don't know enough to comment on it. (leaves door ajar for smarter people....)

Comment

have you done a vacuum reading?
            have you checked for stored trouble codes?
            check your tire pressure
            good one fairplay.......make sure the wheel bearings are decent, also make sure that the calipers/wheel cylinders/e-brake cables are not sticking......drag= poor fuel economy

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

you're sure the speedo is getting accurate readings? you might not actually be getting 9.8
              Originally posted by gadget73
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

I havent checked my speedo or the vaccum readings will do tho. How do I check error codes. Also I think your right on wheel bearings cause I just remebered but forgot to fix it that when I had my front end jacked up I spun my front tires and it sounds as if my brakes are scraping rotors when I am not on the brake! So I believe you guys might be onto something and with the back pressure I think you might be on to another thing I am just running dumps right now cause I just mount mufflers and tails havent had the time to do tail pipes. But when I replace my rear and drop my fuel tank again I will be putting back on my tail pipes. Thanx for the help I ll have to fix these issue and give you some feed back.
                sigpic

Comment

if the timing isn't doing anything it's not gonna get any decent milage either.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I guess every engine is different because the 2.5" duals I put on my lopo neither helped nor hurt fuel mileage. Wheel bearings and rear drums should be checked to see if nothing is dragging. Your tripminder is probably a little screwy.

Packman

Comment

Calculate your gas mileage the old fashioned way, miles divided by gallons. Let us know what you're really getting instead of just what the tripminder thinks. It could be screwy.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 on what Thain said. You need to make sure the tripminder is actually fairly accurate.

If it is correct, I can't see the exhaust causing that significant of a drop in fuel economy. 2.5" exhaust is too large for a stock engine, but the adverse effects shouldn't be that noticeable.
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

my exhuast is 2.25
                          sigpic

Comment

That isn't a problem.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

If the dealership disconnected the TFI module it wouldn't be running, if they pulled the spout connector and left it out though... You would be running at a constant 10 deg. timing and probably get NO power, and NO fuel milage.

As for the exhaust, 2.25" is fine, dumps or tails make no differance. The spout connector is on a little socket on the harness to the TFI right near its plug.
                              1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                              1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                              1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                              1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Working...
                              X