No announcement yet.

Converting to Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I might go with a 1406 due to familiarity and budget. Just can't afford the Demon right now...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I've got one you can have for really cheap if you don't have one already ....

Wait, I'm one or two short on stepup plungers. Damn Edelbrock not making replacement parts readily available .... I never heard back from them on getting 1404 primary boosters, either. Dorks.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        I've got one you can have for really cheap if you don't have one already ....

Wait, I'm one or two short on stepup plungers. Damn Edelbrock not making replacement parts readily available .... I never heard back from them on getting 1404 primary boosters, either. Dorks.
        If you're really interested, I may be able to dig up a marine application that uses that carb, might be able to get the parts that way. The Webers on my Chebby motors are as far as I can tell identical to an Eddy, other than mine being black and yours being shiny.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Very well could be - got any links handy? The Edelbrock Performer carbs do indeed say "WEBER" on the main body even though it was a Carter design. This could turn out to be most interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
            Well, I might go with a 1406 due to familiarity and budget. Just can't afford the Demon right now...
            Then skip going with a carb. You're going to hate the 1406.

Comment

Not that I claim it to be a particularly spectacular carb, but why in particular will he dislike the EDL-1406?

Comment

Not that I claim it to be a particularly spectacular carb, but why in particular will he dislike the EDL-1406?
                It's a decent carb....but I'd rather work out my EFI problems than trying to monkey around with one of those....and then try to tune it afterward.

Comment

I love mine. Fired up and ran great out of the box. Ran even better after it was fine tuned.
                  1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                  2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                  sigpic

Comment

I ran a 1405 on my GMGT. GREAT carb. I traded 8 spark plugs for it
                    Last edited by Grand Marquis GT; 06-12-2009, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I don't like the way Edelbrock carbs look...

But thats foolishness. The red box started right up when I put the 1406 on.

Then again, so did the Monte Carlo with a 750 DP. Actually, DP is in its 'out of the box' tune, and runs better than the red box did on the 'out of the box' 1406 tune.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

The look thing is actually the main reason a college friend of mine chose a Holley for his Mustang instead of an AFB. It was probably two years later that I first saw the video of his first startup ... be interesting to know how it's running now. (he had a 347 shortblock assembled by a shop called Woody's in Indiana and then added Holley SysteMAX heads and I forget what cam)

Funky about the double-pumper, though perhaps it just happened to be delivered with calibration more closely tailored to its actual application than the 1406 did. So far, every time I've messed with a 1406 it had to go two stages rich to not pop when you accelerate.

Comment

Very well could be - got any links handy? The Edelbrock Performer carbs do indeed say "WEBER" on the main body even though it was a Carter design. This could turn out to be most interesting!
                          have no preferences, never actually ordered boat parts online. I can get Mercruiser crap 3 blocks from home for the same price I can get it online for. If you find a site that uses serial numbers to cross reference parts, use 0D835137 as the number. Should be 1993 Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo if it confirms a model of engine.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Concerning the Edlebrock carb; It's an okay piece, but it doesn't compare to either EFI or a Barry Grant concerning tuneability.

Comment

I also just ordered a recurved dizzy from Scotty at RHP. He will send me a new dizzy that he personally recurved on a Sun machine based on my setup. It's amazing how many people neglect that

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                have no preferences, never actually ordered boat parts online. I can get Mercruiser crap 3 blocks from home for the same price I can get it online for. If you find a site that uses serial numbers to cross reference parts, use 0D835137 as the number. Should be 1993 Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo if it confirms a model of engine.
                                Interesting .... I will have to look more into that shortly. Was nifty to pull up a random boat-parts site and find the black AFB. Is that some sort of marine coating to discourage corrosion?

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                                Concerning the Edlebrock carb; It's an okay piece, but it doesn't compare to either EFI or a Barry Grant concerning tuneability.
                                I would have thought the metering-rod system would have been more tunable ... though of course a three-step rod would surely be preferable ....

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                                I also just ordered a recurved dizzy from Scotty at RHP. He will send me a new dizzy that he personally recurved on a Sun machine based on my setup. It's amazing how many people neglect that
                                How's he do it? Does he have a website?

Comment

Working...
                                X