Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On road problems

Dear Panthers,
    5 1/2 hours from home and the Cruiser isn't running right. Motor bucks and jerks exactly as if it had water in the gas. Sometimes flooring it helps. Seems worse at low speeds. I put in fuel conditioner - no difference. The only connection I can make is that the bucking and jerking cuts off when the A/C is turned off and resumes when it's turned back on. But last night, coming into the motel it bucked & jerked w/o a/c on.
    Advise welcome. It's a fair distance home.

Donald McCaig
    1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Bad tank of gas would be my first guess. If you got some water in the fuel, it would clog up the filter and make for all sorts of running problems. Otherwise, I'd guess a vacuum line came off somewhere.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the quick useful answer. We topped the gas at half a tank and got home fine. Donald
      1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

good news, i called your cell and left a message yesterday, i was really concerned

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Good to hear it was nothing major. I've gotten bad gas before, its annoying but at least its an easy fix.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dear Panthers,
            Ooops. No problem driving home in cool, light rain. Several tanks of gas, two fuel conditioners.Drove about two hours yesterday, took it onto I81, same bucking and jerking. It was noon so I figured my mechanics would be at lunch and stopped to eat. Started up forty five minutes later and she ran perfectly. Mechanic thought it might be the ignition module or distributor going bad when it got hot. Ran fine the hour or so home.

Monday the mechanics are going to look at the starter (which didn't click once throughout all this) and the ignition module.

It has to be fixed before July when I drive to Indiana and Vermont.

Ideas?

Donald McCaig

Comment

When was the last time vehicle was tuned up? I have had strange bucking and jerking as a result of misfire under load. Sometimes flooring it helped for me too.

I assume that since you're discussing the TFI module that you have an EFI car, but I'm not sure. Can you please supply vehicle info?
              Originally posted by gadget73
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

89 Colony Park. All the nitty gritty info you'd ever want is here: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=15498

Tuneup was within the last 12 months I believe. Its rather regularly serviced, so all those parts should be OK, unless a plug wire moved and got burned on the header or something. Failing TFI or pickup is a possible, they have been known to get wierd when hot. If its been a while since the ignition module was changed, it might not be a bad idea to put one on there just to be safe.

Comment

tfi module and the pickup are two of the few parts that were not changed by me......tune up was done less than a yr ago

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Dear Panthers,

91 waggin asked:

I assume that since you're discussing the TFI module that you have an EFI car, but I'm not sure. Can you please supply vehicle info?

89 lopo. stock ex: duals, alt, elec fan & battery isolator.

Donald McCaig

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      89 Colony Park. All the nitty gritty info you'd ever want is here: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=15498

Tuneup was within the last 12 months I believe. Its rather regularly serviced, so all those parts should be OK, unless a plug wire moved and got burned on the header or something. Failing TFI or pickup is a possible, they have been known to get wierd when hot. If its been a while since the ignition module was changed, it might not be a bad idea to put one on there just to be safe.
                      The last time I did a tuneup, I got less than year down the road before I started misfiring, because I had unknowingly bought cheap wires. All I did was the wires, but with a different brand, and I was in good shape again.
                      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

FYI. Replaced TFI & module. Worked fine on a six hour trip. Thanks for your help. Donald

Comment

Cool, glad to know things are working out well

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                            Last weekend drove 8 hours to western ky and back. Cool/rain. No problem. Left the Va farm this 5am, ran at 72 until outside albany, about 3pm. Right after the 2nd time I stopped for gas and added a quart of oil. Started that damn bucking again, bad as before. I killed the ac and it ran smoothly for fortyfive minutes through 30mph Troy. Turned ac back on. Okay for maybe 30 minutes and then started bucking again. I'm at my motel, cruiser is cooling and the sheepdog trial is close so I should be okay for the weekend but dunno if I'm going to get all the way home.

(sign me) Worried in Vermont

Comment

Still wanna know about tuneup parts. I have had this exact same problem and wires, cap, and rotor cured it.

Comment

Working...
                              X