Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

harmonic balancer

e1te-b3a what is this balancer from did some cleaning and found it and will
    it fit my 87 stock 302 sefi. i would also like to know what oz is a stock 302

81 truck engine by the part number. In 82 the balance changed from 28 oz to 50 oz, so yours is a 50 oz.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

stock 302 is 50 oz thanks

Comment

I assume Thain means that that '81 balancer is a 28 oz. and shouldn't be used on a later 302 designed for a 50 oz. balancer.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yeah thats what I was getting at. Early 302 is 28 oz, late is 50 oz. The E1TE tells me 81 truck engine, which honestly could be either or. If you can compare that part number to whats on the car now, it might be a 50 oz, but unless you know for 100% sure its the correct unit, don't install it.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Late '81 they swapped over to the 50 oz. balancer and one-piece rear main seal, wasn't it? Or was that not till the '82 model year?

Comment

i think i read somewhere it was during the 81 model year, but everything by 82 was switched.

Comment

i would never think of using a 28 year old balancer

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Errrm, kudos for originality? After 28 years, it might not be so much a "balancer" as it is a "blender"...

Comment

Point well taken! Especially if the outer ring has managed to spin somewhat on the rubber bit.

Comment

Just because it has an E1 part number doesn't neccesarily mean it was made in 81 tho. It might be a brand new one that hasn't been changed in ages. Honestly I haven't got a clue what part number would be on a brand new balancer for our cars. If the balancer is old though, not a great idea to use it. They can and do come apart.

Comment

you can get nice new aftermarket pieces for cheap. I got a SFI balancer for under 150 bucks....
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

balancer has never been used just has suface rust just thought i could use it
                          Attached Files

Comment

depending onthe age, I wouldn't use it just because of the rubber deteriorating
                            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              yeah thats what I was getting at. Early 302 is 28 oz, late is 50 oz. The E1TE tells me 81 truck engine, which honestly could be either or.
                              A casting number is just an engineering number. A casting number is not a part number. Neither an engineering number nor a part number guarantee what vehicle it came off of. E7TE Mustang heads are a good example. 1981 calendar year was the change over. 50 oz should have a E2xx number on it. I have seen the next production year engineering/casting numbers as early as April of the calendar year. I have seen a 351W with one C9OE and 1 D0OE head on the same untouched engine both cast within 2 days of each other in April of 1969.

Comment

Working...
                              X