explorer accessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

explorer accessories

i was wondering if the accessories on the explorer motors bolt up the same as the cv's. im thinking of doing the explorer motor swap and i would like to be able to keep a serpentine setup, just not sure if its possible. also, how hard is it to convert to 134a from r12 on my 84 gmq
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
    1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
    http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

just use the box accys......sell the explorer stuff to somebody puttin a 302 in a ranger......i have done the explorer accy swap, but it was a stupid request and a pain in the ass to relocate all the accys......the explorer ps pump was making too much pressure and blowing steering box seals, finally fixed that with a 96 pi vic pressure spring......converting it to r134 isnt hard tim.......best way to do it is to change the accumulator, the orfice tube, all the o rings, vac it down, add 6-8 oz of ester oil, charge it with r134.....80% of the r12 charge.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The wiring and plumbing involved in doing the Explorer stuff was a mess. The AC plumbing in particular was ugly looking, but it couldn't really be helped. I second keeping the stock accessories. Properly done, the stock compressor works fine with 134, and on an 84 you can get all the lines real cheap on ebay.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

sounds good. point well taken. i had to wonder though. my next thought is about the computer i would need. my mod list(wish list) is as follows

explorer 5.0 motor w/mass air
        frpp f cam
        timing advanced 4 degrees at the crank
        t5
        3.73 trak lok
        sway bars
        big brakes
        rear disk
        duals
        headers
        h pipe
        and probably more.

what computer will i need to run the explorer 5.0 with mass air and the 5 speed, as well as what harness should i rob from the junkyard.

im wondering if a mustang computer will work or not
        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels

Comment

another for the stock accesories...

My engine compartment is so pretty compared to an exploder accessorized panther.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

For wiring, I'd start by going over the two CFI to SEFI conversions posted here, basically you want an 86+ harness to get you to SEFI, and then from there its not a big change to add the mass air. ECM is pretty much whatever mass air Mustang ECM from 88-93 you can get your hands on, probably an A9P or A9L. I forget which is intended for manuals, but you can run an auto ECM in a stick with no issues.

Also not so sure I'd go F cam. There are other more modern options that may be better suited to something with the weight of a Vic. Maybe an XE264 or something like that would fit the bill a little better.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

do the later r134 a/c compressors off of the vics bolt right up to my 84?

Comment

you dont need a "134" compressor. yours will work fine. all of us have 134 converted cars. It's some fittings and some oil along with the 134
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

i understand i dont "need" a 134 specific compressor. my compressor is siezed, therefore it will not work at all. im contemplating using a compressor off of a newer car and wondering if its a bolt up situation or not. my reasoning for wanting a newer compressor is im figuring if it was designed to be used with 134a from the factory i would be better of than if it were designed for use with r12. i may be wrong though.......

Comment

It doesn't matter. R12 compressors work fine with 134A.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

4.6 compressor no fit mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

need a 82-88 compressor

Comment

thanks scott. that was what i was looking for. 82-88 is the ticket. was 88 still r12?

Comment

yes,no R134 till the 90s, 94 maybe?

Comment

sounds good. i hope to find one at ez pull in a few weeks and get this thing cooling again. someone needs to buy this car before i do too much more work to it and have to keep it forever. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X