1988 Town Car AOD overdrive issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 Town Car AOD overdrive issue

I have a 1988 Lincoln Town Car with the Ford AOD transmission. All gears go in and out properly and silky smooth except for OD. I have been driving the car in the normal Drive range since I got it because once you hit overdrive speed in OD the car acts like it goes into neutral. You can rev the engine and you will not speed up. This usually occurs after 40 mph or so, or even sooner in hilly areas. On occasion, if you are driving with OD selected on the gear shift, if you allow the car to slow down enough and the engine revs high enough it will slam back into 3rd? gear. New flush of fluid and new filter made no difference. I checked the position of the TV cable and with the throttle at idle position (no gas pedal pressure) the actual metal wire that runs to the transmission from the throttle body is pretty tight against the adjustable stopper. Would TV pressure being too tight cause a no OD situation? I have read a few places that it should not be this tightly held against it, but these sources may be wrong. What do you all think could be causing this? I think fuel economy really suffers, especially on the interstate or above 55 mph.

Overdrive band cooked. Not really any practical way to fix that other than rebuild the transmission. It will go a long time just driving it in D though if you don't have the bucks for a rebuild.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
    X