What to do... what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do... what to do

Here is the situation. I need to decide if I should go for it or cut my losses.

My $400 beater colony park which is my daily driver (actually more like a $1400 beater after tires, new shocks, a starter, exhaust work, throttle senser and other odds and ends) was pissing coolant from the back of the engine.

First guy that looked at it said if was the head gasket. Second guy (who worked as a ford mechanic for around 20 years) says it is the lower intake manifold gasket.

Here is the thing. At first he says it is probably not worth it to do the lower intake gasket ($400) because of the "overall condition of the car" because the head gaskets are "leaking a lot of oil".

To do the manifold gasket and the head gaskets is $1200.

Wondering if I should just cut my losses. The car does have 196K on it.

But I really feel that if I dump it now I will have wasted a bunch of money to drive the car for only a few months. But on the other hand, If I go for the head gasket job will I be just throwing away good money after bad?

Or, do I just go for the lower intake gasket in the hopes that will keep it on the road without much more for the next 6 months or so.

Maybe I should get a horse.
    1989 Mercury Colony Park Station Wagon.

most 5.0 motors arent really prone to head gasket failures, but the intake manifold gasket is common. as far as your engine lasting ive seen many cars with the same engine last almost 300k miles, they are pretty reliable

Comment

keep her

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

so, you think I should just go with the lower intake gaskets and live with the head gaskets that leak oil? I have found that I go through about a quart every 1000 miles or so. I don't think it's burning oil. Doesn't really smoke vry much at all.

Comment

Get a new mechanic. At the very worst, you have a leaking lower intake gasket, and possibly valve cover gaskets. Neither are expensive, nor hard to do. And as was said, these engine are very reliable. I blew my water pump out on the hwy a few years back, and overheated the car to the point of blowing up the radiator. I put in a NEW pump, NEW radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, and belts, and have not had any issues with the car. No knocks, ticks or head problems of any kind. You can do the intake/valve cover job in a few hours. While it is all out, also change the PCV valve, and screen, and put in a new thermostat, and gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by PICKUP6772 View Post
            Get a new mechanic. At the very worst, you have a leaking lower intake gasket, and possibly valve cover gaskets. Neither are expensive, nor hard to do. And as was said, these engine are very reliable. I blew my water pump out on the hwy a few years back, and overheated the car to the point of blowing up the radiator. I put in a NEW pump, NEW radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, and belts, and have not had any issues with the car. No knocks, ticks or head problems of any kind. You can do the intake/valve cover job in a few hours. While it is all out, also change the PCV valve, and screen, and put in a new thermostat, and gasket.
            Could you point me to a site to buy the parts? Maybe I will try to do it myself. Weather is good, so what the hell.

it's an '89 colony park, 5.0 EFI.

Thanks!

Comment

Oil leaks are almost always the valve cover gaskets or the intake gaskets.

I'd check and make sure the coolant leaks isn't the coolant hoses on the back of the intake that connect ot the EGR spacer. I'd think they have a better chance of failing than the intake gasket.

Valve cover gaskets are pretty easy to do, somewhat time consuming but easy.

As for parts, local parts stores will have everything.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

When I got my 87 CP 11 yrs ago, the coolant was pissing out the back of the intake. When i took it apart, there was some corrosion on the intake causing the leak. Fairly common on older, not maintaind cars. The aluminum and steel don't play well together. Like mrltd said, check hoses first, then the intake.
                sigpic
                Current Rides
                67 Cougar XR7
                97 Mountaineer 5.0
                03 Ranger XLT

Comment

Head gaskets pretty much can't leak oil. It is conceivably possible, but to have one leak oil and not be completely blown in some other more bad way would be very unlikely. Valve cover gaskets on the other hand are very common, and so is a bad lower intake gasket. Both can and will leak oil extensively.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Buy a book and do it your self. Whats the worst you could do fuck up a 400 car that you could still get 150 bucks out of it for scrap. Thats how I learned to do what I know how to.
                    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
                      Buy a book and do it your self. Whats the worst you could do fuck up a 400 car that you could still get 150 bucks out of it for scrap. Thats how I learned to do what I know how to.
                      +1, what have you to lose?
                      2000 Grand Marquis LS
                      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                      Mercury Owners Group member
                      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

You might also have a freeze plug rotting out of the back of the head....

Comment

Originally posted by JackG View Post
                          Could you point me to a site to buy the parts? Maybe I will try to do it myself. Weather is good, so what the hell.

it's an '89 colony park, 5.0 EFI.

Thanks!
                          Local parts stores have most stuff.
                          HOWEVER....
                          rockauto.com is an amazing website with pretty awesome prices
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by JackG View Post
                            At first he says it is probably not worth it to do the lower intake gasket ($400) because of the "overall condition of the car" because the head gaskets are "leaking a lot of oil".
                            Get a new mechanic. If he wants $400 for an intake manifold gasket he's bending you over. I'd estimate, without the book of labor, it would take about 2 hours to replace the intake gasket and refill with coolant and do an oil change. Parts and labor wouldn't be more than $200. Unless it's one of those jobs the book horribly over shoots and claims 5 hrs labor.

Hell, I'd do it for $100 if you were close enough.
                            1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 H.O.

Comment

Working...
                            X