5.0 cylinder head flowchart. covers stock and aftermarket heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.0 cylinder head flowchart. covers stock and aftermarket heads

a buddy of mine sent this my way so i thought i would share it with you all. gives some good info on the flow of many popular aftermarket heads. so enjoy..
    Attached Files

That's a fairly nice chart, I wish I had that printed out last year.

I also found this site to be helpful for quick referencing, although I saw that a couple of them were veryslightly off. Basically the same stuff, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

http://www.carbdford.com/tech/headflow.htm

Comment

Useful info

N00b question: What does the Intake/exhaust ratio effect? Is a bigger difference between intake and exhaust flow a good thing? Bad? totally combo-dependant?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Pretty neat stuff....

The only downside is that while they give you flow numbers, there's no real quantification of how much better/more efficient/whatever the modern heads' combustion-chamber designs are.

I don't know if there *is* a way to quantify that, though, or at least not easily.
        1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
        Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
        Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
        Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

dunno really where to find info on combustion chamber differences. although i know for the trickflow twisted wedge heads they show a comparison of it compared to stock combustion chamber designs, so im assuming some other head manufacturers might have it as well, i never really thought of that. i know they show you combustion chamber size but actual design is another story

Comment

Yeah, the combustion chamber size will affect compression, but the shape/design can have a huge impact.

Ugh, and if you ever see a photo of the, eh, what passes for a "combustion chamber" on Pontiac heads from around 1972 or so . . yikes!!
            1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
            Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
            Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
            Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

Working...
            X