No announcement yet.

Stop stalling and get on with it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I owned a tow truck... I'd just tow it down to PA ! But the last thing I want is to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a car that won't start. Hopefully I'll have this problem fixed SOON.

1987 Mercury Grand Marquis
    5.0L V8

Performance Mod Status: Planning Phase
    Interior Mod Status: Planning Phase

Comment

either replace the pickup assembly, or just swap in a known good used distributor with your new tfi........the pickup is mostlikely shorting out at certain temps, and when it cools, then it will function. try my advice, i'm sometimes right on the money lol
      also check the grounds, the cfi wiring, tfi wiring etc.......perform the wiggle test to all the wiring
      scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If you need it, I can send you the spare distributor I have from my old engine. It ran with no problems when I pulled it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
          either replace the pickup assembly, or just swap in a known good used distributor with your new tfi........the pickup is mostlikely shorting out at certain temps, and when it cools, then it will function. try my advice, i'm sometimes right on the money lol
          also check the grounds, the cfi wiring, tfi wiring etc.......perform the wiggle test to all the wiring
          scott
          this is why I said to check for ECM codes. If you have a bad PIP you will get a code 14.
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

My mechanic checked for codes, got nothing. They did replace a fuse link, which may solve the problem. So far I haven't had any more trouble, but I haven't taken trips of more than like 3 miles. Tomorrow if I have some time I'll try taking a long trip. If it does stall, I've got a free tow to my uncle's shop. If it doesn't, then I guess the problem is fixed.

Thanks for all your help, everybody!

1987 Mercury Grand Marquis
            5.0L V8

Performance Mod Status: Planning Phase
            Interior Mod Status: Planning Phase

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
              TFI module getting hot and breaking down maybe? See if it has spark when it does that next time.
              I am having the same problem, but is only once in a while. Let her sit 5 mins and she runs fine. I will try the TFI module, I assume that is the coil on these?
              2000 Grand Marquis LS
              2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
              1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
              Mercury Owners Group member
              Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

The TFI is a little module on the side of your distributor.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln
                  The TFI is a little module on the side of your distributor.
                  Glad I asked first. I just know the old stuff
                  Thanks
                  2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

I replaced the TFI, after buying that special Ford wrench, and she seems to be running fine. Haven't had a 90+ day yet so have to see if it's fixed completely.
                    Thanks to all who helped
                    :banana:
                    2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Still acting up

Well seems the TFI wasn't the problem. As soon as the temperature went above 90 it started stalling at idle. Any suggestions? I read in the instructions for the TFI that resisitance in the plugs or wires can cause the TFI to act up, any one hear that before? I am gonna check the resistance on them.

:chainsaw:
                      2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Usually high resistance on the wires just causes a miss. Never heard of it making the TFI module act up. I'm still thinking something heat/temperature related. Have you pulled the codes on the engine to see what it has to say?
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I am pretty sure it is Heat related, only acts up when temperature is 90 or above, runs fine other wise.
                          How hard is it to change the pickup?

Don't have a way to check the codes with out going to a garage.
                          May have to take it in.
                          2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
                          X