miss/stuttering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

miss/stuttering

my car has a miss/stutter and it is very iratic, not in pace at all sometime it does it , then it doesnt.. i just did a tune up yesterday and the back 3 plugs on the pass side were almost white . so the question is do i have an o2 or an injectior problem, the o2 are about 2 weeks old. help i"m going insane and dont really have alot of extra cash to be just repacing parts
    sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
    87 mercury grand marquis
    88 crown vic lx
    89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
    89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
    00 ford crown vic lx hpp
    03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

scan for codes?

last time fuel filter was replaced?
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

X2...fuel filters are cheap and easy to replace! Also try a bottle of fuel-injector cleaner, next time you gas-up.
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

EFI plugs normally run fairly white, so that might not tell you anything useful. Code scan will be more useful if changing the filter doesn't help. O2 sensors are seldom the cause of a lean or rich code, more often than not, they are providing the correct information and telling you something else is wrong.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

filter is maybe 6mo old and the plugs are considerable differant im use to seeing specaled white on them over the years these were white
          sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
          87 mercury grand marquis
          88 crown vic lx
          00 ford crown vic lx hpp

Comment

i just bought some injector cleaner and im going to try it and i'll get a new filter just to be safe there only like 10 bucks
            sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
            87 mercury grand marquis
            88 crown vic lx
            00 ford crown vic lx hpp

Comment

check for codes

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

i checked for codes got egr and tps , there both new so i went and swaped them out at advanced auto and still misses , got some tb and choke cleaner and sprayed the manifold for a vac leak and nothing. so im guessing im going to just replacing the injectors.
                sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                87 mercury grand marquis
                88 crown vic lx
                00 ford crown vic lx hpp

Comment

your plugs should all be fairly consistent in condition.. if 3 of them looked alot different than the others they could have been gapped different or indicating a lean condition.
                  Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

that thought came across my mind to i checked them all @ 35 just got done doing the fuel filter and took it for a good drive and no change at all
                    sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                    87 mercury grand marquis
                    88 crown vic lx
                    00 ford crown vic lx hpp

Comment

You've got them gapped too small. It should be .052 I believe. Its on the emissions sticker under the hood, right next to where it specifies the plug type.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ive had them gaped at 35 all 5 times ive changed the plugs, and it has never done this before
                        sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                        87 mercury grand marquis
                        88 crown vic lx
                        00 ford crown vic lx hpp

Comment

ok im lost , i feel like im chasing a ghost , i changed the injectors and regulator then put in new plugs and even set them to oe spec instead of 35. and the car ran good other than it surging because i cracked the egr vac line. i fixed it and the car runs great then im on my way to work this morning and sitting at the light it stutters/misses again ... so now what im losing my mind . and contaplating just parking it in the gurage and letting it rust in peace.
                          sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                          87 mercury grand marquis
                          88 crown vic lx
                          00 ford crown vic lx hpp

Comment

Originally posted by visionmercury View Post
                            i checked for codes got egr and tps , there both new so i went and swaped them out at advanced auto and still misses , got some tb and choke cleaner and sprayed the manifold for a vac leak and nothing. so im guessing im going to just replacing the injectors.
                            have you disconnected the battery since replacing sensors? might wanna try that and let it relearn everything.
                            Last edited by cld783; 05-04-2009, 10:05 PM.
                            Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

yes did try that a couple of times once when we did the injectors for a couple hours and i onhook it over night on friday before the injector swap.
                              sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                              87 mercury grand marquis
                              88 crown vic lx
                              00 ford crown vic lx hpp

Comment

Working...
                              X