back in a box, now what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

back in a box, now what

im picking up an 84 grand marquis off of a friend in the next two weeks. im wondering a few things about the older style box cars....

what are the major drivetrain differences between the 84 and say the 86 and up. i know a few of the obvious things but not much more than that.

im looking to toy with the motor a little. ive owned quite a few boxes, but none older than 86 so im pretty familiar with the newer boxes and the modifications that i can do. ive done the HO swap twice as well as gears and brakes and all that stuff. im just not familiar with the older lopo motors and cfi setup. is it pretty straight forward to swap to a carb setup? if swapping to carb, are there any ignition mods needed?

also, ive owned enough automatic vics. this one will be a t5 in a few short months. ive read up on the swaps that have been documented, it actually seems pretty easy and straight forward. the only thing i havent seen is anyone going with a hydraulic setup...has it been tried and is just not worth it or has no one attempted it? i went with the hydraulic on my ranchero instead of the cable setup, and i favor it greatly.

thanks in advance for any input, im excited to be the owner of another box vic again.

tim
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
    1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
    http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Do you still have the '96 gs?
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

yea, i havfe it at the shop now. im procrastinating putting the duals back on it. i made cutout in the bumper for the tips to come out, now i just have to finish the exhaust up and we should be golden.
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels

Comment

an efi ho or explorer 302 swap would be easier tim........it's been done twice here by gmners......no need to drop the fuel tank and change from eec4 to duraspark......for the price of a new intake and carb, you can get a used 302 ho.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

with the HO swap im guessing i would need to get a wiring harness off a donor car? i like the sound of HO swap, brings back memories.

i gotta get up to skippyville scott, havent seen you in a while.

Comment

can u run e7s on 84 lopo motors with a better cam

Comment

yea need donor efi harness......should be able to get that at ez pull or wait for us to part out vals car
              i'm only like 35 min from leesport mang......run 183 till you get to 901 and run 901 to 209 south

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

i know, ill have to run up some saturday after work or some sunday. know of any good explorer motors?

Comment

Originally posted by tim marks View Post
                  also, ive owned enough automatic vics. this one will be a t5 in a few short months. ive read up on the swaps that have been documented, it actually seems pretty easy and straight forward. the only thing i havent seen is anyone going with a hydraulic setup...has it been tried and is just not worth it or has no one attempted it? i went with the hydraulic on my ranchero instead of the cable setup, and i favor it greatly.
                  tim
                  I used a cable setup with mine and haven't had any trouble yet. "knock on wood"
                  1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                  2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                  sigpic

Comment

im not worried about having trouble with it breaking or anything, its the pedal. it is so much smoother and easier with the hydraulic setup. plus, if its never been done, why not be the first.

Comment

Originally posted by tim marks View Post
                      i know, ill have to run up some saturday after work or some sunday. know of any good explorer motors?
                      i know of at least two ..well two that i knew of one was at semans autoparts and the other was at rt20 autoparts in irving ny both 250 for a exploder motor
                      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

yes convert the CFI to SEFI and go HO!!!
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                        X