No announcement yet.

My 351 Heads Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only way to know for sure if they are good after lapping is to have them tested at a shop, it will also tell you what cylinders are bad and how bad they are. It shouldn't cost much to check them and is well worth it in the end.
    1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
    1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
    1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
    1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

heed thains advice......thain mang builds a mean smallblock

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

What size are the headbolt holes in the GT40 heads?

The 302's that I have worked on used 7/16" head bolts and the 351's used 1/2".
        2003 Lincoln Navigator
        2001 Grand Marquis
        1985 Camaro, 12.52 @ 114 MPH

Comment

I thought they were going to be 7/16" but they are actually the 1/2" size, i was surprised...
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

so i started lapping the valves...and the first valve i started, when i turn it it seems it only is seat correctly when oriented with the block in a certain way...does this mean the valve is warped or something? or is this the way its supposed to be?
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Allright well, the suction cup i got doesnt really work well...the lapping doesnt appear to be working...I called a machine shop and they quoted me $200 to do a valve job.... he also said its not possilbe to test the heads off the block, so im not sure what machine you guys are talking about to test them....

I also called the guy to tell him about that one valve... he said if more were like that he'd talk to his buddy who sold HIM the heads and wed prolly get our money back, so im checking each valve. he also recommended calling places and asking them if they can cut the valves and seats and it wouldnt cost much more than 50 bux..that seems a good route to me, all the guides seem great so far, and the valve seals look like new...
              Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 04-24-2009, 12:32 PM.
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Just took them to a good machine shop, will need new valve guides, along with cutting the valves and seats, and also two new valves, so i will be posting them for sale on craigslist and on here
                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Jesus Christ, just save up the money to get the heads fixed.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

x2

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

might as well fix them. Two bad valves is no big deal. I replaced all 8 exhaust valves when I rebuilt my original set of E7 heads. What you've got in front of you is pretty much typical for any used head. They all need a rebuild if they have miles on them.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i figured...if they dont sell I'll save them and have them redone. The place I went to do the ENTIRE head, a thorough job, and they charge 350 for everything, which isnt bad. But i dont want to spend any kind of money like that for a while on this car, or until it needs it. It all depends if it sell for what i listed it as, if it does i may just put 3.55 gears in it with the money i got...
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

$350 per head? I paid $200 per set of heads. If you're talking $350 per head that'd better include some sort of fancy performance valvejob (good for several horsepower according to Jason Fletcher's flow numbers) and some runner cleanup as well.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

not per head, for both, the heads are basically new after they finish with um
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

OK, that's not nearly so bad then. I'd still do my best to insist on a performance valvejob at that price.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yeah it was a little mom and pop shop, said theyd been in business for 40 years, and that they mainly did high performance stuff...
                                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X