Shifter arm removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter arm removal

How in blue blazes do you take off the shift linkage at the transmission. The rubber like bushings are pissing me off. Is there any trick to taking these things off. I was about ready to break out the angle grinder to get that bitch off :chainsaw: . Cause I am switching transes this weekend so decided to get a head start

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Use two screw drives and pry away. It is hard but as a matter of fact, I just took mine out about 15minutes ago.

Comment

Use on to lay against the flat lever off the tranny. Use the other to lay across that one and pry up on the lip. It is a matter of brute force, however it goes better if you do it slowly.

Comment

damm guys! it must be a real pita to do without the tool............it looks like a pickle fork, but much smaller..........couldnt work without it lol
        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

i love pickle forks

oh wait, wrong fork
          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

DAMN!! I forgot we had one sitting in the bottom of the tool box!!! Ahh, well it didn't take long, I have practice at doing it, and I'm not interested in saving the tranny at all. So bending the flat arm on the tranny, didn't bother me.

Comment

I might bend mine too. I was bending the arm so I decided to ask before I break some thing. Hopefully I'll have it out today since I have no work today.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

Got the linkage off. Now I gotta get the crossmember bolts out. Damn things are NOT moving. Gonna torch em or rent one big ass impact. :evil:
                They are only things that are holding me back beside the bellhousing bolts but those will come out.

Comment

You have already taken out the flex plate nut right? Do that first. You whould be able to break the cross member nuts using 2 wrenches chained together.

Comment

Yep that's one of the first things I did. But, Nah I rented a big ass impact, waste of $12 though. I used a big pipe on a ratchet with vise-grips wedged up top and they came right out.

Comment

Yep that's one of the first things I did. But, Nah I rented a big ass impact, waste of $12 though. I used a big pipe on a ratchet with vise-grips wedged up top and they came right out.

Comment

I actually snapped the shift lever off the side of my old tranny when I pulled it. Had to modify the Mark 7's lever to make it work. I still dont have a manual first gear as a result of that, but hell, it works.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well today did not go too well. Some ass hole who worked on my parts Crown Vic stripped the nuts on the flexplate. I got 1 off but the other three are impossible to get off. I thought I had 1 but it slipped off and my hand hit the cat converter's edge and sliced my pinkie finger really bad(I can see the bone). Theres no way to cut them off without damaging the converter. I'll be going to sears to pick up one of those bolt out sockets. Hopefully I'll get them out thursday cause I'm going to the Cleveland Grand prix tommarow and I'll be leaving monday to go to football camp. God damn it I am never going to get this shit done! Head gaskets, battery draining problem, thermostat, radiator, exhaust still needs fixed, CFI has got to work for a little bit without having to fill up every 3 days just going to school, or go in the trash, fuck I aint even started!!!
                          Any body want to donate some cash?

Comment

i need to get off my fat,lazy ass and get christines tranny into shifty
                            Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Do it, it aint that bad!! My life saver is my home made breaker bar.
                              Take a 1/2in drive ratchet and slip a BIG pipe over the end and you'll have so much leverage to bust any bitchin cross member bolt out. OH if you have problems with your driveshaft bolts, cut the open end off a 12mm wrench and slip your pipe over. When you run ot of room shift it in neutral and turn the driveshaft(I hope you'll have the car in the air first ) and turn it until you have clearance. Makes it fast and painless :slug:

Comment

Working...
                              X