coolant flush technique...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolant flush technique...

i started searching about what my room mate mentioned for cleaning out the stop leak crap on the net. came across a site that sells a product and they mention to flush the coolant system with vinegar to break down the scale and crusty stuff like a coffe pot. details below. thought i would see what you all think before i might do this to Sandy.

How often do I need to change it and are there any special requirements?

Most every coolant product will work best when changed somewhat regularly…at minimum, we’d recommend once a year.
    For racing applications, we actually recommend twice per year. The cleaner you can keep your cooling system and the fresher you can keep a fluid, the better it will perform. There are no special requirements for using Engine Ice. For any coolant and anytime you are changing coolant, we recommend a simple solution of distilled water and white distilled vinegar, both available at your local grocery store.

1. Mix the water/vinegar at 50/50
    2. Fill system with the solution
    3. Run engine until warm
    4. Let cool
    5. Drain
    6. Run clear water through to rinse out vinegar.
    7. Fill with coolant of choice.

This is the same as cleaning your coffee maker. The vinegar is acidic enough to clean out and contaminants and residual coolants, yet it won’t harm your seals and gaskets.
    Last edited by 87_crown_vic; 03-28-2009, 02:36 PM.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

I just did mine with my Dad the other day when we were changing the thermostat and used the Prestone Coolant Flush. We never used anything like Bar's stop leak, and from what I hear, that stuff's evil in a bottle. We followed the directions for the flush and then rinsed out the system and resivoir with a garden hose and the engine running until everthing came out crystal clear. I'd probably just use the Prestone flush since that's what it was designed for.
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

as often as i'm into all my motors i never flush the coolant. seems like i always gotta drain the coolant for one reason or another, so i just consider drain and refilling it every year or two good enough.
      1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Comment

tryin to blow out the rest of the rotted freeze plugs jim?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by JD's Toy View Post
          as often as i'm into all my motors i never flush the coolant. seems like i always gotta drain the coolant for one reason or another, so i just consider drain and refilling it every year or two good enough.
          Usually thats enough. Its when nothing at all is done for decades and the fluid is really nasty and muddy that you have to flush it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X