Oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Change

Does anybody have an idea(s) on how to get oil out of the front sump without taking the drain plug out? The drain plug (among many other bolts on the car) was stripped sometime B4 we got the CV. It won't tighten all the way and it won't back all the way out. Until I get around to changing the oil pan, is there anyway of getting a small tube in there to pump the oil out? Friggin annoying knowing that there is still dirty oil left in the system after it has been drained.

Packman

Originally posted by packman View Post
    Does anybody have an idea(s) on how to get oil out of the front sump without taking the drain plug out? The drain plug (among many other bolts on the car) was stripped sometime B4 we got the CV. It won't tighten all the way and it won't back all the way out. Until I get around to changing the oil pan, is there anyway of getting a small tube in there to pump the oil out? Friggin annoying knowing that there is still dirty oil left in the system after it has been drained.

Packman
    Force the plug out. Get a new plug, and retap the threads.

Comment

I was afraid you (or somebody else) were gonna say that. I guess that's the only recourse at this point. I'll plan for it next oil change, which won't be too long from now since the oil gets dirty faster.

Packman

Comment

drill a hole in it. The oil will come out. Up to you how to make the oil not come out when you're done

Seriously, if the plug can't be repaired with an oversize, replace the oil pan and be done with it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The only problem here is that even if I have to pull the engine a little bit to get to the oil pan, I'm gonna have to go all the way and just pull the engine out and do some modding.:p

Packman

Comment

Been having the same problem at work with the V-8/V-10 engines lately. Usually, the drain plugs strip out, but leave the pan threads intact. Get 2 new drain plugs, and replace them both. No sense doing one, and not the other, as sometimes the aftermarket plugs are a different wrench size. Had that happen to me personally on my old CV. One was 3/4 inch, and the other was 7/8.

Mike

Comment

Gadget, have you ever tried to replace a pan in our cars?????? What a PITA!!!!!!

Mike

Comment

Perhaps I'll purchase a replacement pan. Then I'll force the old drain plug out and if that doesn't work, I'll pull the engine and replace the pan.

Packman

Comment

Could always drill and tap the middle of the plug and thread a smaller plug in.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PICKUP6772 View Post
                    Gadget, have you ever tried to replace a pan in our cars?????? What a PITA!!!!!!

Mike
                    I'm aware of that. I never said it wasn't a total pain in the ass because it certainly is.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm gonna discuss with my father on the best course of action. Probably end up discussing some of the other upgrades I got planned for the car.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                      X