No announcement yet.

AOD Final blow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YEAH!!!! My parents are so great to me!!

Since July 12 is my 21st B-day, my parents are going to cover a combined total of $700 of the cost of my new tranny!!! So that means it's only going to cost $400 for a wide ratio 600hp rated tranny and a new converter!!
    :banana: :banana:

And I got my Detroit TrueTrac Torson differential by TracTech Inc. in today.

Comment

I'm actually about to go order some stuff myself. With some luck, I'll have my trac-lock overhauled and my brakes upgraded by next month.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yay!!!!!!! :banana:
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

sweet. i wish my parents had the cash tyo get me a wide ratio aod. unfortunately they spend about 1200 a month on prescriptions, with 300 of that from me. i just don't feel right not helping them out
          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

WOW $1200 a month. I'm sorry to hear that, but I know how that goes. 6 years ago my Mom had to battle cancer for a year and a half. That was a really tough time. And the insurance company denied coverage for it too. We ended up using almost all my college savings to help cover the costs. Hard work and some time and things will come together man! My Mom works 2 Jods as a cook and HomeDepot employee, and my Dad is a mechanic for Ford. Things have a way of working out. When I get done with college, I'm gonna help my parents as much as I can. I'm hoping that one day I'll make enough to build them a place in the mountains.

Comment

Whats the price on that trakloc you ordered? And im guessing its better than the one thats we all have?
              The Best
              Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

Dear Gurus,
                Thanks for th explanation:" A wide-ratio AOD is a AOD with the gearset out of a 4R70W it gives you a lower 1st and 2nd gear with 3rd gear remaining the same and a slightly lower OD."

Why is this better?
                Donld McCaig
                1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

with the lower gearing you get better acceleration and gas milage
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I paid $370 shipped for that rear end. Instead of using clutches it uses a helical gears to transfer torque to the wheel with the traction. Technicaly it's not comparable to clutch LSDs as far as torque bias load. But suffices to say that "they say" (the internet in general) that its ruffly 50% more bias than an Auburn LSD does. It's not really comparable because it works opposite of spider gears. If one wheel starts to srip ahead of the other, the gears "do their thing" and the power is not given the the slipping wheel but to the holding one. It's not like a step ladder level of transfer either. It is a smooth transfer.

Originally posted by www.popularhotrodding.com
                    The TRACTECH solution--Detroit Truetrac
                    This new design uses gears to split the load from side to side. Compared to clutch-type setups, the Truetrac claims a fifty percent increase in torque capacity, which means it should be capable of dealing with heady power levels in street cars. This parallel axis helical planetary gear differential design has been under constant evolution for the past twenty years, and can provide instantaneous splitting of torque when called for. During "normal" street driving, the Truetrac performs like an "open" differential, but when traction loss occurs (whether the cause is wet, muddy, or icy conditions, or even if you're simply power-sliding through a turn at your favorite road course), imbalanced gear forces automatically transfer power to the wheel with the most traction. Because the Truetrac responds to torque feedback, needed traction is instantly available to provide traction at anytime and at any speed.

Unlike locker-type rears, the engagement of the Truetrac is smooth and quiet. Unlike open-type diffs, the Truetrac offers power to both rear tires. Unlike clutch-type limited slip units, there are no friction plates to wear out. Is it the best-possible solution? When compared to the other designs currently offered, it certainly offers some points that are hard to argue. How about installation?

Like any differential unit, it does require the disassembly of the rear axle. To limit potential backlash issues, it's recommended you check the backlash of the existing unit, and double-check this dimension after re-installing the differential. Normally, these measurements do not change and the installation of the Detroit Truetech is quite simple. Once installed, you'll be armed with an ultra-durable, non-clutch limited slip unit, and the performance benefits that come with it.

If you're considering an upgrade or are in the process of designing or building your project car, we'd have to recommend looking into the Truetrac. It's the latest development in a long line of legendary differential designs, and for the kind of performance driving we like to do; it may even be the best choice ever.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance. I can understand how lower gears would improve acceleration but how would they also improve gas mileage?
                      Donald McCaig
                      1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

Lower gears give a mechanical advantage to your engine. The result is that you don't have to push the engine as hard to accelerate. So city mileage will increase. On the interstate, if your engine is cranking 1200rpms, then it's dropping tons of gas to overpower the air drag (since these are cubes on wheels). However, too much gear will have a negative effect. If you do lots of highway and interstate driving, go with a 3.27 or 3.31, city driving 3.55, some say to use a 3.73, but at that ratio it will hurt your interstate mileage a noticable amount.

Comment

Ignore marketing mumbo jumbo. In an open differential, torque is transfered to the path of least resistance. In the case of any advanced differential, the clutches, gears, cones, do not allow one single wheel to be that path in a case of low traction. This being the case, the torque actually flows to the path of most resistence because the axles are locked together by the differential.
                          The Zexel Gleason designed Torsen differential does a decent job of smooth power transfer in low traction situations. The problem is that the "binding" gear design does not make it the most durable diff for drag racing. Once they start to wear, or under a single high load, they can self destruct. They are not servicable.
                          Military Hummers have Torsen diffs. The early ones were not up to the abuse and grenaded on a regular basis. I changed literally dozens of Torsens out of Hummers. There was an improved design, but the Marine Corps used up all of the weak ones first.

Comment

That may be true, however the Zexel design is the diff of choice in all high end road racing. Second, we are talking about puting it on a car with less than 400ft*lbs of torque. Third, this is a new design, model, as a matter of fact this particular vesion was updated about 8 months ago. They have a bad history as seen in the quite true facts you have stated. However, they have been tweeked to work correctly, and the performance is proven to be superior to that of Pro Series Auburns. One thing I noticed in particular was when I picked up one. A friend had one, and I checked it out and weighed a little more than the open version of his diff. The one I have weighs almost twice that of an open (38lbs just the Torson unit without bearings or anything) The only complaint I have seen anywhere on these newer designed untis (I'm talking about the past 4 year overall desgin not my updated version) is that when dealing with greater than 500hp the bolts on the side that hold it together can shear off. As for its "drag racing strength" there is only one kind of drag racing diff, and that is a locker. LSDs are no where near perfect for drag racing. Either way I don't think anybody (minus Duce) is going to put out enough power to come close to destroying any of our differentials due to design weakness.

And I get all my info from the people that use them, not those who sell them. Sellers are almost always going to bull shit to some degree.

Comment

you mean to tell me that sales reps don't give the absolute unbiased truth all the time? *shocked*
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Working...
                                X